Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I am going WOT (wide open throttle) in 3rd, I can get up to about 90 MPH, before it goes into 4th. When it goes into 4th, the tach just freezes at about 2500 RPM and will not go any faster. It's an AODE with 85K miles.

Any ideas? Can this be fixed?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Maybe it is hitting the speed limiter?? I have heard that convertibles have a speed limiter that pulls fuel out above a certain mph. My car will only go 115 before it cuts out.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
COLT 5.0 said:
Maybe it is hitting the speed limiter?? I have heard that convertibles have a speed limiter that pulls fuel out above a certain mph. My car will only go 115 before it cuts out.
No, because I have had it up to 125+ before (with the top down). Trust me, it is just missing that entire gear.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Could be that the OD band is slipping. The OD band friction material is pretty thin. Taking a look at it, you'd be amazed that it could hold a fully loaded 3600 lb. car in OD. Performance mods only make this weak link even weaker. Are you sure OD is fully engaged? Does it feel like clutch slip. At 90+ mph it is hard to hear much in a vert.

·
Registered
5 Posts
In reference to the OD....I have the same prob...Worse tho, as mine's a '94 coupe...Problem with mine is I'll disengage OD, car runs fine, just higher RPMs than I'd like...if OD's engaged...car's ****ed, and it won't hold any gears :curses: ...like the car's in neutral...all talk, no walk, ya know? Hopefully it's just the OD band, like I'm figuring it is. I've read several accounts of bad happenings like mine where the bad OD band caused all gears to miss. I don't know if this helps, but, Ford does the AT service for $79.95 :barf:

Might provide some answers.... :confused:

·
Registered
476 Posts
Does it feel kind of like its in neutral or like it is just hitting a wall at a certain speed. I know someone who's speed sensor fritzed and it caused the car to just stop at around 40mph. It sucks when you have a tranny problem, about a year ago mine decided it wanted to go no higher than 2nd gear( two words-not fun:( ).

·
Registered
713 Posts
hey, do you want a fresh T5?? I am getting a tremec t56 in the next month. the t5 only has about 200 miles on it and it has a warranty. I am getting a A351 stroker. My car has been sitting since I put the tranny in. I put the romac an I am still not happy with the performance. I am sick and tired of my engine. I want to start with a new block and the works with afr 185's.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wazee said:
hey, do you want a fresh T5?? I am getting a tremec t56 in the next month. the t5 only has about 200 miles on it and it has a warranty. I am getting a A351 stroker. My car has been sitting since I put the tranny in. I put the romac an I am still not happy with the performance. I am sick and tired of my engine. I want to start with a new block and the works with afr 185's.
Well, to be honest, I suck at driving 5 speeds. I learned how to drive stick on a VW Bug (my first car) and really haven't driven a stick much since like 1993.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MrGreen94GT said:
Does it feel kind of like its in neutral or like it is just hitting a wall at a certain speed.
Hitting a wall at about 85 MPH and 2500 RPM. It just "sticks" there.

I've already made an appointment with my mechanic (a guy who does almost nothing but Mustangs). While I am getting this fixed, I am gonna get 4.10's, aluminum driveshaft and loop, and a Transgo Shift Kit.

I wanted to get a 2400 RPM stall torque converter, but I have spent like $3K on my car this month.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Senez said:
In reference to the OD....I have the same prob...Worse tho, as mine's a '94 coupe...Problem with mine is I'll disengage OD, car runs fine, just higher RPMs than I'd like...if OD's engaged...car's ****ed, and it won't hold any gears :curses: ...like the car's in neutral...all talk, no walk, ya know? Hopefully it's just the OD band, like I'm figuring it is. I've read several accounts of bad happenings like mine where the bad OD band caused all gears to miss. I don't know if this helps, but, Ford does the AT service for $79.95 :barf:

Might provide some answers.... :confused:
I must have missed this post before. That sounds exactly like what the problem is.

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
Re: Help!! My tranny is fried!

sorry double post

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
Re: Help!! My tranny is fried!

Anaconda said:
When I am going WOT (wide open throttle) in 3rd, I can get up to about 90 MPH, before it goes into 4th. When it goes into 4th, the tach just freezes at about 2500 RPM and will not go any faster. It's an AODE with 85K miles.

Any ideas? Can this be fixed?
well the first thing I see here is that if your trans was slipping in OD you would rev higher and not go any faster Usually if an accumulator or band is damaged then the trans will either hessitate shifting or not engage into that particular gear. Try this site for more info on AODEs http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny/index.html#

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I think Anaconda's problem is either OD band slippage, MLPS (manual lever position switch) or an EEC problem. Popping into nuetral at any gear is usually but not always MLPS. Also the EEC stores elec. trans codes so a code reader may give more clue to the problem. Good Luck to both you guys. Also when rebuiolding an AODE or 4r70w, you want to get the RAybestos Mech diode clutches (98+ part #) and a heavy duty one-way forward clutch(F8xx-xxx)part #. They are much stronger, but not bulletproof as I've cracked one of these in half also.

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
It is the sensor on the side of the transmission that mounts where the shift selector goes through the case. when it is replaced it must be aligned with a special tool. If you want the part # for the alignment tool let me know and I will post it for you.

Sorry its function is to tell the pcm(powertrain controll module) what gear the transmission is in.

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
The one I have is made by OTC

T92P-70010-AH
M.L.P.S. Alignment Tool

;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Okay, unfortunately, I'm back on this thread :( .

Tranny was slippin' bad yesterday on the way back from Charlotte. So we left it in Albemarle, for two reasons

1) Tranny was running extremely hot, and not taking ANY gear (by any, I mean R, 1, 2, 3, 4, OD, anything). So it's stuck in neutral.

2) It was 5:30 on Friday afternoon, and you can't find anywhere open to look at it.

Goin to pick it up Mon. myself because I'm not paying to have someone tow it 100 miles. It's going straight from Albemarle to my uncle here (wicked wizard mechanic), and getting looked into. What he tells me, I'll relay to you, so you're not as left in the dark.

If tranny is totally shot, I'm opting for a 5-speed...automatics are the devil, but this one was great for cheap, or so I thought. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts