Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 90 GT with a AOD tranny in it I know this is the weak spot of my mustang so my question is should I jump right into rebuilding the tranny with the performance parts I as planning on buying or should I start on the motor. I just wanted to get some opinions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you plan on keeping the auto I'd do shift kit, high stall torque converter, and gears. You probably want to invest in a transmission cooler as well. My 347 did not originally have one. A baked transmission will ruin your day, I know. :( If you plan on putting money into the engine you're going to need the parts to handle it. I wouldnt trust a factory stock AOD to take much abuse. Performance wise if its all stock right now you could probably drop almost a second off your 1/4. the converter especially is gonna make a huge difference in your launches.

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
I agree...almost all the power mods you make to a car short of a power adder will shift the torque peak higher in the rev range, so if you don't do something about the stall speed on the converter or at least some rear end gears you're hampering the effects of your engine mods.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts