Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
getting my clutch done and was curious should i run full synthetic or non-synthetic? ive heard something about the synchro's in some cars not liking synthetic???

·
Registered
93 Posts
I just changed to full synthetic today. Haven't drove it that much but from the little that I did, it did feel easier to shift.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Synthetic all the way. Just about everyone here will tell you to either get the ATF Redline stuff, or the GM Synchromesh fluid. I went with the Redline ATF fluid, bought it from Summit for $10 a bottle. Cars shifts much smoother than before. For a lot of people, switching fluids actually helped reduce some the grinding while shifting.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Try it and see. Mobil 1 or Redline.

If the trans doesn't like it, drain it out and try something else. Mine likes Mobil1 just fine, and it's easy to find in WalMart.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Back in '99, Ford (SVT) did not recommend synthetic fluids in the transmissions. They probably didn't recommend it because they never tested it. Then I keep hearing/reading that synthetic is best but others say too slippery for proper synchronizer operation. So they say regular ATF. I found a happy medium, I used Valvoline synthic blend ATF. After 53,000 miles it still smooth as silk for shifting.

...now I probably just jinxed myself.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
M1 is the factory fill fluid in most new tremecs now.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I have used Synchromesh for a few years its good stuff IMO

1 - 7 of 7 Posts