Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I had a new torque converter installed 2,000 miles ago by the dealer. (They also installed a new converter “hub” seal at the same time.)

Now I’ve got transmission fluid literally pouring out of the rubber inspection plug on the bottom of the tranny right under the torque converter. This was not a gradual failure. Saturday I’m fine, Sunday I’ve got a softball sized puddle of tranny fluid on the floor in my garage. I put the car up on ramps and looked around. Fluid is not coming out anywhere else, just from that inspection plug. (The torque converter drain plug is not leaking, I checked that.)

I took the car back to the shop today to get the leak fixed. I’m concerned that they are going to try to pull some crap, say this is not their fault, and expect me to pay for it.

I understand how torque converters work, but I’ve never installed one myself.

So… please educate me ASAP.

I need to know what they could have screwed up doing this install that would have caused something to fail and leak this badly after only 2,000 miles.

Could they have damaged something during the install? Can you get the converter somehow out of alignment during the install? What else might have gone wrong?

Is the converter “hub” seal the same thing as a “pump” seal? If not, can anyone explain the difference? And, could they have improperly installed a seal causing it to fail in only a few thousand miles?

I need to be armed with knowledge so I don’t get ripped off when I pick up my car.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Find out if your dealership's policy on the warranty on its repairs. It should have one. My dealer had a 30 day or 3000 mile warranty.

Check your dealership's policy and see if you're still in that window.

Henry

1 - 2 of 2 Posts