Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question: I need to replace the transmission support/crossmember on my 1984 5.0 (5 speed). Are the 4 cylinder and V8 crossmembers the same or will I need to get one from a 5.0? What about manual vs. automatic cars? (The reason I ask is that there's a whole bunch of 4 cylinder cars in the boneyard but not a single 5.0.) In other words can I get one from say a 4 cylinder automatic? Also what years will fit or are they all the same? Thanks. :)

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Not sure about the other years, but, my car was originally a 4 cyl. automatic and it was totally different than the V8 one.

·
Registered
423 Posts
The V8 crossmembers have two "humps", one on each side, to allow two exhuast pipes to pass under. Non-V8 should only have one hump, for single exhaust. I had to change mine to a dual hump to run dual exhuast in my V6 to V8 conversion.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aha! I did notice the two humps in the crossmember when I looked in the Haynes manual at the underside photographs that appear at the front of the book. My 'stang definitely has a full dual exhaust....so I guess I'll need one from a V8? Other than that, does it matter whether it's from an automatic or a manual car? (I was hoping I could go the cheap way and get one for $5 from a 4 cyl at a local boneyard....oh well).

·
Registered
8,496 Posts
If you still had the stock 1984 single exhaust, you could use the 4-banger exaust.....

but now you need a double hump from an 86-93 V8 car (possible SN95 but not sure)

·
15,473 Posts
Just an FYI...while you have it out, check the bushings, and replace as necessary with Energy Suspension crossmember bushings from Summit, $14.

·
Registered
225 Posts
It is not uncommon to find double hump crossmembers in 4 cyl. cars, I have seen quite a few in the wreckers.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
qkjuicedpony said:
look for an 88' 4 cyl car my 88 notch had a factory double hump crossmember in it as do all 88 model cars
Mine is an '88 and was a single hump (former 4 cyl car). So, some do, some don't.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts