Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to get traction on the street with 500rwhp and drag radials in a fox body? My basic set-up is in my sig, it will not be tuned till April but im guessing i have between 450-500rwhp( basic set-up in sig). I am running on Nitto DRs with decent tread left and i cound not get traction in my car if my life depended on it. It doesn't matter what gear i'm in, as soon as i lay on it ever so slightly and the car sees a little boost the tires break lose and spin like crazy. Am i restricted to basically only track use now or can i hook up on the street with the right suspension. I'd appreciate any input especially from those running in similar power ranges...thanks..

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Well, getting no traction right now is what's probably keeping your suspension together. You don't list any mod's on the back end of your car so I assume it's all stock. I'm running Nitto DR's (315's) on my 7up car and can spin them in second gear easily (and that car isn't making the power you are)... but I need to brace up my rear more in that car. Welded battle boxes (got them, don't have time to install them). Just time, which I don't have alot of lately. My 03 Cobra makes lots more power than yours and hooks well, but that is a whole different suspension. Others can chime in, I've leaving on a business trip...

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
have you done anything to your suspension? I would definately atleast weld up your torque bozes so you don't brake them. Do a search on torque boxes and one on battle boxes and read all that info. 70/30 or 90/10 shocks up front will help weight transfer. I am assuming you have already moved your battery to the hatch? you can also run drag springs which will help. Removing the front sway bar helps weight transfer which helps traction. DO a search for traction and you will find a few idea's also post in the drag racing forum and you will get more help. ALso try upper and lower control arms. Do a search on them and you will find a ton of info. The guys in the drag racing forum can help you get a nice suspension package put together. Lightening up the front as much as possible helps weight transfer too. what size DR are you using? This info is assuming yu are wanting to drag race your car. If yuo want to road race it then check out teh road race forum. They can help you set up your suspension for raod racing. Just rememebr to be specific in what yuo have done towards trying to get traction already adn what is still stock. I.E. what size DR's yu have and mods to the suspension at all including lowering springs. Give any info you can. your post was rather generic as far as what your suspension is right now. We knwo what you have as far as motor though.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Sweet engine! How cold is it where you are at. I know from experience that these tires don't stick when cold, and have almost lost it (in second gear) a couple of times on engine alone, and this was not popping the clutch, power shifting, or anything like that, just mashing the pedal.
What about your diff? Is the traction-lok all worn out? I was fartin around with my dad the night before last and hit the nitrous when i was cruisin in second. If i wanted it sideways, that is the way to do it!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My suspension is stock right now. I'm gathering parts now to install come spring time. I have eibach drag springs, c/e adjustable drag shocks on the way and was looking to get a set of 90/10 struts. I will also get a set of control arms but am undecided on which ones right now (any suggestions?). Question is will i still have traction problems on the street like i am now even with a decent suspension? I am running 245 DRs now but have a set of new wheels with BFG 275 DRs that will also be put on come spring time.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have 275's.

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
the 275's should be better, and ungrading yoru suspension will still help on the street. My last car hat just under 500 rwhp and I actually got better traction on the street once I had the suspension set up correctly due to the fact I was digging into the asfault. there are a lot of different Upper control arms and lower control arms. out there do a search on them and see what peopel have to say about them. Do some research. it would be easy for me to say what I like but in the end it is only my opinion and what works good with my combo. as for upper I would sugest getting adjustable ones so you can set yrou pinion angle. You can do a search on setting pinmion angle and find lots of valiable info there as well. Stiffen up the chassis with sub frame conectors as well if yuo haven't. no need to waste horse power tweaking the body. you can find a lot of good ideas in teh drag racing forum like I said. From teh main forum page it is half way down the page. There yuo will also find peopel talking about different UCs and LCs ( UC being upper control arm and LC being Lower control arm) just make liberal use of the search button on the top right hand corner of this page and yu will find lots of good information. There is a thread about drag radials going on at the moment with fittign the 275's on your car. I would do that search. Just remember as elmo89 said in the cold DRs don't hook very well. Durring teh colder months here in california( yes where I live it gets downto 30* at night) I run regular street tires. I also try to stay off the gas a bit.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Those sound like good suspension parts you've got collected so far...for the control arms I'd go w/ either Maximum Motorsports, Kenny Brown or whoever makes the Megabite's. It's pretty much a losing battle trying to get traction on the street with that much horsepower. I'd get a good set of tires (DR's) and try to get the suspension as optimum as I could without sacrificing too much. There are too many variables on the street to say what will defenitely make you hook on the street. I need new tires myself...w/ my 3.73's and new lowering springs and adjustable shocks I light my BFGoodrich Radial T/A's up in anything under 3rd.

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
On the street your never going to get good traction. That's just a fact of life we have to live with, but yu can improve it, and your onthe right track. Are you going to eb takign this car to the strip ever? or is this just a high horse power street car?

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
not entirely true.

Maclarens, high end ferraris and such, even vipers can manage with those horsepower levels, and still come out of the turns close to WOT.

The 03 cobras do an ok job from a roll aswell.... Supras too.

MM or Global West control arms, with spherical bushings (heim joints) not urethane crap. Get a torque arm under there, might aswell do a panhard bar while you're at it.

Road race or drag race ?
This can determine how sloppy you want the front suspension to be.

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
jonathan have you ever driven any of those cars? I have driven a few vipers even owned 3 my self. I could spin the tires in the viper on the street in the first three grears, to come out of a corner at wot on the track and the street with a viper you dont; just mash the gas pedal down, you have to actually roll on it. It's all in the driving technique. And by saying he's never going to get good traction on the street is a true statement. By good traction I mean they just hook and away he goes no spinning. That is not going to happen, he'll start spinning and tearing up the asfault first. Asfault is not like concrete, it tears up very easily, which is why drag strips have a concete pad you launch on. He can however improve his traction on his the street.

Hey Blownpony is this car going to be seeing track duty or are you building it for street racing? I don't condone street racing but I am not one to judge those that do as I did street race a lot in the past. so if yuo are gonna street race it I have some other tips for you.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, this car will see the track several times this year. I very rarely ever drive fast on the street but it can be frustrating when some riced out sunfire next to me starts reving his watermelon launcher at me =). The car is driven almost daily during the warmer seasons which is why i'd like a little traction on the street as well as the track.

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
ok very cool, I would start with the suspension then as noted above by those of us that have responded. I woudl set the car up for optimum traction at teh track which will help you get traction on the street. The only thing about setting a car up for track use is it is usually not as nice of a drive on the street and doesn't handle turns like it used to. You can use adjustable struts and shocks for that. The wider tires will definately help. Also try rolling on the gas in a smooth motion and don't just slam the gas pedal to the floor. I think you are on the right track so far.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I have 460rwhp in my 92GT, and I really don't hook up all that poorly on the street on radials. I have battle boxes, Poly lower bushings, and the Kenny Brown Trac-kit plus. (panhard bar, anti-squat brackets, front springs, super-subs, jacking rails). I am also using Monroe Formula struts/shocks w/o the quad shocks. I just got the car tuned near the end of last season, and my distibutor is bad, so we'll see how she does with a new distributor this year. I love the kenny brown trac-kit, there is no rear squat, the tires just dig in! Again, driving style has a lot to do with it! Good luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
one more thing to check into is the Torque Arm systems. I have recently had problems of ripping the upper arms off my torque box. and I dont have near the power you do. Ever since I put on the nitto drag radials the torque box keeps breaking. My friends stang had 550wrhp and with the torque arm setup, it would hook well. Dont get me wrong, you cound't mash the throttle at a dead stop. But for the power it had,(with nitto drag radials) the car hooked good. the kits are about $1000 and it eliminates the upper arms and the quad shocks. hope that helps

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
putting on battle boxs and welding up the torque boxes helps take care of that too as another alternative. a littel cheaper too. with aftermarket upper rear controls you can delete the quad shocks anyway.

·
Registered
115 Posts
90stang said:
one more thing to check into is the Torque Arm systems. I have recently had problems of ripping the upper arms off my torque box. and I dont have near the power you do. Ever since I put on the nitto drag radials the torque box keeps breaking. My friends stang had 550wrhp and with the torque arm setup, it would hook well. Dont get me wrong, you cound't mash the throttle at a dead stop. But for the power it had,(with nitto drag radials) the car hooked good. the kits are about $1000 and it eliminates the upper arms and the quad shocks. hope that helps
You are scaring me with the talk of the torque boxes. I haven't done anything to mine and am about to rebuild, replace my worn out trac-lok, and may possibly see some slicks put on at the track.:eek:

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
elmo89 said:
You are scaring me with the talk of the torque boxes. I haven't done anything to mine and am about to rebuild, replace my worn out trac-lok, and may possibly see some slicks put on at the track.:eek:
You'll probably be ok but looking at "BlownPony"s set up, I bet he has 500 rwhp easy, and with an all stock rear end and axles,
somethings gonna give if he gets to much traction.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts