Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't want to mess with clutch pack diffs. While good street manners is a plus since it will make occasional trips, cruises, etc. I'm not sure the Truetrac is durable enough to handle regular abuse. Any experiences or info on this? Chime in please. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,154 Posts
True Tracs are nice diffs, however they do break. If you go to the strip only occassionally, or if RR/Autocross is more your thing, get the True Trac. If you want a diff that can handle 900+hp all day long, and can deal with extra NVH, tire wear, and jerkiness, get the C-locker.
I've daily driven my 98 with a locker for over 2 years now. It takes some getting used to at first, but you get used to it. Just make sure you don't hammer down in the middle of a turn at high speed until you learn the car--totally changes your line in a hurry.

·
Registered
461 Posts
If you want reliability and strength, go with the locker, like 4 cam324 said it takes awhile to get used to , but after a while youll get on to it, and used to it,ihave one in my 98 cobra daily driver.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well, fourcame pretty much laid it out for you. True-trac is a great diff if you don't plan on using slicks on the drag strips. Quite and great around corners. Althought mine only last 20 passes on the track with slicks and 6k rpm launches. While the locker is a complete different animal; it takes a while to get use to the clunking and rear steering which does get old after a while. I will most likely be going back to a posi-type diff since the drag racing is coming to an end due to the future mrs. Btw, the true-trac is also $200 cheaper than a locker in case price is a main concern for you.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had a Powertrax unit in a car before and it didn't bother me after getting used to it. I even kind of liked the clicking. It got attention, but they probably thought something was broke.:)
Not on that museum piece...literally! I guess the c locker is quiet nowadays? Sounds like I will be spending some dough here soon for the durability factor. Thanks guys.

·
Corral Charter Member
2,020 Posts
I have used a Detroit Locker, now have an Auburn Pro, and will likely soon go to a TrueTrac. The Locker is bullet proof, but after over a year of putting up with it on the street, I just couldn't live with it any longer. The Auburn is awesome on the street, but I'm constantly worried about breaking it. I'm optimistic the TrueTrac will fill both ends - especially given I'll be on DRs in F/S.

I'll keep you posted. :)

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
FWIW I run a spool in my car and it sees a lot of street duty. I had a c-locker and hated it. The clunks and noises from the back got too annoying plus like Andy said if can be a little unpredictable. I have around 1500 miles on my spool and am happy with it. It will chirp your tires going around tight turns but its manerisms are consistent unlike my c-locker

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I e-mailed tractech about their recommendations and hope to hear from them. I gave them some big numbers that I want the diff to be able to handle in case there is a power adder in my future. I'd like to do this only once..at least for few years.

I only have driven the car about 2000 mi since Sept. (winter) but I would guess I would max put about 6000 a year on it. I was really careful driving the '69 Camaro with the Powertrax because it did take a second to disengage into curves. May have been exagerated by the Strip springs I put in.

Bob, if you get a truetrac before tractech responds to my e-mail, I appreciate any feedback. Do you know from others experiences how long it will last in, say, a car with the numbers yours pushes? It seems some have voiced that it may not last a long time. The price of the Truetrac is attractive though.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I blew an Eaton up after 3 runs but I am told it was a production problem and it was being fixed. There were many blown Eatons on here around the time I broke mine...

Locker should be good to about 700-900 HP from what I have read. I know of a couple of 9 sec cars using them

·
Registered
654 Posts
I've got 3 years and 400+ launches on DR's with my TruTrac and 4.56's, so I'm satisfied with it.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I trashed 2 tru-tracs! The second one on the third launch.
The C-Locker is made by trac-tech the same people who make tru-trac. The locker as 4 cam said is the one. So far 2 years of abuse and still going!

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I exploded a Eaton on Dr's 2000 rpm launch The diff was in a lot of little pieces. C Locker with now with a million? passes and no problem.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Hey all,

Do you have the part number for the Detroit C-Locker 31 spline differential? And are there any suggestions from you on where the BEST place to order one would be? I'm in the process of droppin a new forged internal motor in my 99GT along with a Kenne Bell to replace my vortech..and want to ditch my auburn pro due to my fear of grenading it to pieces with 6K launches on slicks at the track.

Thanks!

SOHC
99 Vortech GT... runnin on 7cyl
89 LX 5.0 Vert beater
02 F150 SuperCrew Tow vehicle

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Item: DET187C-145A-DETROIT SOFT LOCKER - FORD CORP 8.8 inch W/ 31
SPLINE AXLES - 1987- 2002 W/ ABS

Subtotal: $628.95
Tax: $0.00
Shipping: $41.45
Total: $670.40

Here ya go man. It kind of hurt a little spending that much on one part, but it is one very important one!

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Thanks Dan,

I was also looking at the new Auburn or Eaton ECTED (they both have one out) Electromagnetic lockers? I know the eaton is a posi then engages to be a locked diff... wonder how their durability will be?

I'm pretty sure the Detroit C-Locker would be more bullit proof than any of them though...

Later,

SOHC

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just noticed I forgot to put in where I got the Det. Locker...www.drivetrainsuperstores.com is where I purchased it. I can't say I got the lowest price possible but of the few search results for out applications that came up with google this is one of the better prices. I belive the other price range was closer to $700.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.