Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As in add material to the top of the engine to allow a longer stroke? I'm imagining an aluminum plate inserted between the head and the block with gaskets inbetween the three parts. Of course the extra plate would have to mate perfectly at the cylinder wall in order to allow the piston rings to travel without obstruction. Just a crazy thought! :D

·
Registered
647 Posts
I think it's a good idea in theory. However, I think there would be too many design issues to list.....if you want to increase the deck height, I think you'd be better off starting a 5.4L motor. That's the only thing different between the 4.6 and 5.4....you'd still have the same issues with the intake not fitting with a 5.4 that you'd have by even slightly increasing the deck height on a 4.6.............

SJ

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GreenMonster'96 said:
I think it's a good idea in theory. However, I think there would be too many design issues to list.....if you want to increase the deck height, I think you'd be better off starting a 5.4L motor. That's the only thing different between the 4.6 and 5.4....you'd still have the same issues with the intake not fitting with a 5.4 that you'd have by even slightly increasing the deck height on a 4.6.............

SJ
Aluminum block vs. iron block.

·
Registered
3 Posts
First off, as you know the cylinders are tappered - so you would have to bore out the top of the walls. Second, how would you cool this plate? It mates directly under the quench. The plates tapper would have to exactly match that of the bore. Plus, would you now have two gaskets, head-to-plate and plate-to-block. To make it worse, I dont think the rings would handle the transition very well.

Hence the proven method, stroker crank and be done with it. :evil:

·
Registered
326 Posts
They're called deck plates.

A similar process is being used currently on other types of engines. They are called deck plates. This was the original way to get a 351W to almost 450cid's. The block is bored to accept sleeves, then they put the deck plate on (with water passages and oil returns), then they insert the new sleeves that match up to the new deck height. It can be done to a modular, but why? This process would cost nearly $5K, plus you could only step up to a 5.4 deck height. Any higher or lower would add to the cost by requiring you to also have new timing chains made.

Besides, there have been rumors of an aluminum 5.4 block to be available to the public in the not-so distant future.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mike.. yes, the sleeves. Not sure why that didnt come to mind. Hmmmm, its 9am and I'm still on my first cup... Bingo! :snore:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.