Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone driven 2 similar cars but one with the T2 and one with the T2R? I am looking for real world opinions. I like the 4:1 bias ratio but is it worth Global Wests $700 price tag?

·
Corral Charter Member
2,594 Posts
I have the T2R in the Saleen. It handles putting over 500HP to the ground as well as you can expect through street tires, and it is dead quiet. No complaints at all. Not sure what they were quoted you, I only paid $499 for the T2R and I bought it from them.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Drew00GTsc said:
anyone else?
Well my '95 RX-7 had a Torsen differential. From an engineering perspective, a Torsen is the most elegant and ingenious design for a LSD. No clutches or hydraulics; torque transfer is completely gear driven based on the input torque from the driveshaft. From a practical perspective, it is one of the most bulletproof, low maintenance diffs you can put on a car, with extremely smooth power transfer.

The only drawback to a Torsen is that it has a limited torque bias ratio (TBR) compared to other designs. That's where the Torsen T2R comes from; it uses some kind of spring loaded thing to get a higher TBR than other Torsens. And for road racing I don't think you need 100% lockers; they're mostly useful for 4-wheeling where one wheel gets completely in the air.

So the Torsen would be a no-brainer choice for road racing or autox. But for drag racing... maybe a locker would be better? I don't know.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For my application, street/open track/autoX (in that order), the torsen seems to be the perfect piece. however, the question is still open in my mind whether the T2 will be good or do i need the T2R. :confused:

Im putting down 380 rwhp and 395 torque. I want something that will handle the exit throttle so Im leaning towards the T2R. but the price tag difference is nuts.

Snakecharmer: I talked to Global West again. They want 695 bucks for the T2R. Im pretty annoyed that they are marking up the price so much if you got it for 500...:mad:

·
Registered
866 Posts
Drew00GTsc said:
the question is still open in my mind whether the T2 will be good or do i need the T2R.
I was checking this out for my Panoz. Decided to let the Ford 8.8" blow up before I replace it. But when I do the replacement will be a Torsen. Back when I talked to Zexel they were not yet selling the T2R; it was just starting to be "road tested" by some sponsored autoxers. So now they're selling it... nice to know.

I believe the only difference between the T2 and T2R is that the T2R has a higher TBR. Both should be bulletproof, zero maintenance, bolt on install, and an improvement over the Ford 8.8" LSD. Whether you need the higher TBR of the T2R and if so how much it's worth to you.... now that is the question isn't it?

·
Registered
602 Posts
I got mine from the same place Eric got his. I love it. I feel it is the only way to go.

Terry

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Drew00GTsc said:
Has anyone driven 2 similar cars but one with the T2 and one with the T2R? I am looking for real world opinions. I like the 4:1 bias ratio but is it worth Global Wests $700 price tag?
For your power level and application, I'd highly recommend against the T-2. Back when the T-2 was first offered my FMS for the 8.8, I tried one in my 94 GT and it performed very poorly for autocross. I was only making about 250 HP and about 300 lb-ft TQ, and the couldn't keep the inside wheel from lighting up. I tried several spring rates (front and rear), different bars (front and rear), no rear bar, etc and just couldn't keep enough weight on the inside rear to prevent the diff from opening up. The final combo included a Griggs PHB/TA set-up and the results were adequate, but not great.

IMHO, I'd definately go with the T-2R. As the diff is one of the most important components to a well sorted/balanced car, the cost of the T-2R is money well spent. Although, you might want to check into the Tru Trac diff (www.reiderracing.com) if the price on the T-2R is too much. I believe it has a TBR of 3.5.

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Hey Blown46

Can you tell me the good and bad of both the Trutrac and the T2R?

I am looking into these for my 01 Cobra and I wanted to know a real world comparision.

Shawn

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
BlackSnake2001 said:
Hey Blown46

Can you tell me the good and bad of both the Trutrac and the T2R?

I am looking into these for my 01 Cobra and I wanted to know a real world comparision.

Shawn
I wish I could answer that for you, but I've never used the Tru-Trac or the T-2R. About all I can add based on my actual usage is that the standard T-2 works great with the IRS. I tried a very tight Auburn with the IRS and it induced loads of understeer - to the point of being unsafe. This experience with preload and the IRS is what made me choose the T-2 over the T-2R. Because the inside rear tire with an IRS is not unloaded in a corner nearly as much as with a solid axle (particularly with a 4-link), pre-load is far more a liability than an asset with the IRS. In fact, Torsen never had a need for static preload until they started making their diffs for solid axle applications.

You might want to PM DLF as he is running a Tru Trac with his IRS. One good thing about the Tru-Trac over the T-2 is the higher TBR at about the same price as a T-2. The Tru Trac achieves the higher TBR via work gear design whearas the T-2R achieves the higher TBR via a spring arrangement.

Hope this helps...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts