Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've done a search and found a few posts that talk about torquing spark plugs when replacing them. none of these posts specifically answered my question so here goes.

my helms service manual (2001 cobra) says the plugs should be torqued to 11 lb-ft but it doesn't mention the use of antiseize. it seems to me that using antiseize would require less torque to correctly seat the plugs in the heads.

my questions is.. by how much? 1 lb-ft? 2 lb-ft? i really don't want to buy new heads because i over torqued these suckers. i'm hoping someone has some data saying, 'the use of antiseize will increase effective torque by 10%' or something like that..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ack!.. sorry. posted this in the wrong forum. you guys may have the answer anyway but i didn't mean to intrude. mods? care to move this to svt?

·
Registered
351 Posts
just a thought but i wouldn't use anti-seize compound, it friggs up your torque readings and is also not necessary on spark plugs.

·
Registered
514 Posts
89coupe said:
just a thought but i wouldn't use anti-seize compound, it friggs up your torque readings and is also not necessary on spark plugs.
He has aluminum heads.

As far as installing the plugs just make them snug. Do not over tighten them. As soon as the plug gets tight just give it a touch more. You'll be fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts