Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The book says 25, But these guys at a local speed shop says to do it about 15. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Go with 25. My brother's instructions said 22:confused: but when it was at 22 it blue smoked badly. When he tightened it up to 25 it stopped smoking.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
TFS says 22 ft/lbs for the lower intake. I'd go by there specs. I just retq'd mine yesterday while I had my car apart to reset my rockers. You can look on there site for more info.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I torqued mine to the TFS 22 ft-lbs spec. with no problems.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
would any of you guys suggest some permatex thread locker on the bolts of the lower intake???????????

Do you find your bolts on the lower intake get loose after a while?

·
Registered
753 Posts
I use liquid teflon on mine. I do a two step, 16 then 22. They suggest a 3 step 12, 16 , then 22. Yes its common for the intake bolts to get a little loose. I can yank my upper in about 15 mins. max and tighten them when I get the urge.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
The key is to go through the torque sequence several times. As the intake settles into place during the torqueing process, some of the bolts will get loose. I run through the torque sequence 3 or 4 times until all the bolts are tight.

I also follow TFS specs - 22 ft-lbs.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
MrGreen94GT said:
Go with 25. My brother's instructions said 22:confused: but when it was at 22 it blue smoked badly. When he tightened it up to 25 it stopped smoking.
I got that problem right now (last night, for the first drive around the block). Question, did it foul a particular plug (leaky port on intake), or were ALL the plugs slightly oily...?
Gonna look into this tonight. Went to bed EXTREMELY disappointed at first, but maybe this is it! (light at end of tunnel).

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well after going to the local speed shop who builds lots and lots and lots of stangs around here in south fl to get some Bolts for the intake, They say never ever torque them down, and 22 is way too much and you will squish the gaskets, He said just snug them down lightly all around in the right sequence. Well I did and everything worked out well.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
fastfed1 said:
Well after going to the local speed shop who builds lots and lots and lots of stangs around here in south fl to get some Bolts for the intake, They say never ever torque them down, and 22 is way too much and you will squish the gaskets, He said just snug them down lightly all around in the right sequence. Well I did and everything worked out well.
They probably don't torque head bolts either. :rolleyes:

I'd go to a different shop.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well all I know is they build some serious cars there. I torqued my intake to 22 lbs. and it leaked. I went there to get some new bolts and they told me and explained. ( IT sounded right ) I did not torque and did what they said. Guess what no leaks.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
When you torqued it the first time did you go through the sequence only once at 22 lbs? That won't work. As you tighten bolts later in the sequence the intake will settle on the gaskets and some of the earlier bolts will loosen up. You need to go through the torque sequence at 22 lbs several times to make sure all the bolts actually settle in at 22 lbs.

The engine builder in that shop may be so experienced that he can do it by feel. You and I and most of the Mustang world should use the manufacturer's torque specs.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm going with the speed shop. We only torque ours once. We have crushed gaskets in the past with retorqueing. No more. No leaks either.
We do put some light seal on the gasket.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Once I finish the last bolt at 22 ft./lbs I go back over each bolt at random and make sure each is still at 22 ft./lbs.

I would think a crushed or damaged gasket would be the fault of the installer in some way, no the gasket. I'm not trying to rip anyone or say their wrong in their methods but it just sounds odd to me.

Bottom line, it worked for you and I'm glad to hear it. Who knows, one day I might have to try it if the problem comes up. :cool:

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
I pulled the upper intake off last night, and rechecked all the lower intake bolts after putting the motor thru its first heat cycle. Some bolts were only at about 15. Even through I tightened them in 12/16/20 increments, and rechecked all of them twice after that.
Retightened to 20ft/lbs last night, and seems to have cured my oil consumption. :)

·
Registered
746 Posts
I don't torque the upper or lower on my TFS when I install it. I go through the proper sequence from inside to outside, but I just make all the bolts "snug" without putting to much pressure on them. The only time I ever had a leak was when I didn't use enough black cheese on the lower after having the heads milled.
You get a "feel" for how tight it should be after you've done it about 2 dozen times!! LOL!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts