Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checking opinions here - SN95 coupe fat girl 337 cid heavily ported heads & manifold small custom .600 lift cam full roller C4 no brake yet 4.56 gear 28" tire adjustable front & rear suspension - i'm sure i will buy 2 or 3 converter before i'm done but just looking for a close recommendation - thanks !

·
Registered
58 Posts
Any recommendations ?
Call Broader Performance. Give all your details including cam, gears, tire size, car weight (best guess). Jay does all Ford stuff and specializes in C4’s. Don’t expect a quick ship, it’s a small shop. And yes, I run his converter after Blowing through several other forum favorite converters.

·
Premium Member
2,592 Posts
If you have a dyno graph of the engine, that is also useful information that a converter builder would like to know.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I see you are in Ill, Midwest Racing Convertors in Rockford does a good job. and if you get it wrong he will take it back and re-stall it for small charge

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
if its an sn95 your best option is to swap to the stock type aode/4r70w transmission and toss a 4k stall converter in it. Then set the stall speed wherever you want it in the tune.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
if its an sn95 your best option is to swap to the stock type aode/4r70w transmission and toss a 4k stall converter in it. Then set the stall speed wherever you want it in the tune.
What table/tables sets stall speed? That's a cool idea.
Are you saying that either of those tranny's are capable of handling the hp in stock form? Maybe I read it wrong?

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
tcc slip tables

yes a stock 4r70w can handle anything a street car can throw at it.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
tcc slip tables

yes a stock 4r70w can handle anything a street car can throw at it.
Thanks for the reply. I do remember those tables now that you mention them. I'm shooting for 500rwhp which isn't huge but something to consider if using a stock 4r70w.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
500rwhp isnt even a concern for a bone stock 4r70w

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
500rwhp isnt even a concern for a bone stock 4r70w
I'd probably want a good VB for performance? I hate lazy feeling autos.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
I haven't seen any better converter than southern transmission out of Arkansas. But again my stuff is completely different than everyone else's, I'm bracket racing only, no heads up stuff. Occasionally will run a 6.0 index although I have to run high gear only to slow it up to 6.0. I think he's still going. Might be worth a call. He's pretty good with Ford stuff, unlike some of the other companies out there that just love the GM stuff.

Had bad exp with Kenny Ford...not going into detail, but when you pay good hard earned money for a product that is supposed to be top notch, and you get a defective product with no service after the sale, it sticks in your mind forever. I still have that converter too. It is a door stop that people ask questions about all the time.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
stock valve body is perfectly fine. You can change the springs if you want neck snapping shifts but stock valve bodies can shift pretty hard when tuned properly

·
Registered
1,668 Posts

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts