Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I blew my AOD up the other day. It's slipping badly/not shifting right, and the fluid looks pretty dirty. I'm not that mad about it because it was a $75.00 from the junk yard unit. That poor AOD stood up to 3 years of abuse and 100+ drag strip passes, 50 of them on N2O!!
I'm having a new one built as I type this. It's going to have a full manual PA valve body, a trans brake, wide ratio gear set, 2" wide OD band, and all the other goodies.

Sorry for the blabbing, let me get to the point. I want to Re-use my TCI super street fighter converter, but I don't want to put it in my brand new tranny if it has a bunch of crud from the old trans in it. Is there a way I can 'flush' it out at home, or is this something that has to be done by a tranny shop?? How much would be a fair price to pay??

·
Registered
627 Posts
TTT, I'm wondering the same thing.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Give TCI a call,they can rebuild it for about $150.This IS NOT on their website and you need TO CALL on the phone.

I had one done for $125 + shipping about 2-3 years ago.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't want to rebuild it, just have it flushed. The converter is working perfectly. I just want to make sure it didn't get any 'crap' in there. The converter only has about 5,000 miles on it if that.
Would I still need to have it re-built???

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Sounds like you are spending big money on the AOD,don't scrimp on the converter.

Myself would order another one,rebuild the one I have before using it on a $1500-$2000 trans.(IF you get a 2nd one,sell the old one)If the converter is a low milage unit,there should be nothing wrong with it and the 'rebuild' would be a cleaning and might be cheaper than $125-$150

OTOH... call a few local trans shops and some of them may flush it,some will tell you to replace/flush it.

Give PA a call,see what they think!

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I will make some calls tommorrow to TCI and/or PA.

BTW, I'm not spending as much as you would think on the rebuild. I had a good core, and traded a guy a set of Roush 200 heads (which I got for a song), to do the labor and pay for all parts except for the PA VB.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts