Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering purchasing a battle box style torque box support kit and was wondering if it is necessary to remove the lower control arm to install them?

thanks

·
Registered
315 Posts
yes lower control arm has to be removed, along with rear seat.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After looking again at the L-bracket design of the lower supports, would it be possible to just loosen the front lower control arm mounting bolt, slide it out slightly, then put bracket in place and put the nut back on?

Or am I missing something here about the install process?

thanks

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
You DO NOT have to remove the LCA to install a "Battle Box" or one of the copies. Remove the nut on the LCA bolt. Some form of persuasion in the form of a torch may be needed to get the nut loose. Once you have the nut off slide the L bracket up into the frame through the oval opening that you used to get to the LCA nut (it may take some finagling, even using a BFH but it will go in there). Once in place with the LCA bolt going through the single hole in the plate and the other plate with 4 holes situated against the underside of the floor go ahead and put the LCA nut back on and torque it down. Now take a drill and make 4 holes in the sheetmetal of the backseat area (back seat should have been removed) using the 4 holes in the bracket as a template. Now bolt the inner plate that goes in the car to the LCA bracket. Welding here is optional. Reinstall the back seat and you're good to go. I'd recommend painting the brackets and everything before you install to prevent rust and corrosion. Good luck.

Carson

1 - 5 of 5 Posts