Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone runing american racing torq thrust II wheels on a 96-98 cobra? I've heard of clearnce issues with the brakes. Also size and backspacing would be great also. I'm looking to get different wheels on my 96 mystic. The cobra r's look good but everyone under the sun has them already. thanks for any help.

·
Registered
222 Posts
They do work but most guys end up getting wheel spacers. I bought some from AR and they claimed they would clear the brakes.....no go. When I went to get them mounted the guy called me back and showed me that they were sitting on top of the caliper and would not rotate without grinding on the caliper.

I know some guys have them and clear but most have gone through sending them back and froth about 3 - 4 times until they got them right. Custom made wheels...they're not cheap. Good luck.

There's a guy with a s/n MeanMystic, I'm not sure if he posts here but he's got them on his Mystic. He could help you out some more.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a bunch for the information. How thick were the spacers? 1/4"?

·
Registered
787 Posts
I have a .jpg of a Mystic with Torque Thrust II's on it, but it's not hosted anywhere that I know of. If someone could host it I could email it to them and then everyone could see what it'd look like. Just an idea.

·
Registered
222 Posts
gt91hatchback said:
Thanks a bunch for the information. How thick were the spacers? 1/4"?
Not really sure man. If you want, log onto www.fordpower.net and search for the user name "MeanMystic" and contact him.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have TT IIs on my mystic and have had no problems. I had discount tires install so I am not sure of the spacing if you want you can call them and they will give you the info. If not the I can probably find it for you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
AAHHH yes, i have seen that picture on mystccobra.net

lazy, what size are you running? 17x9's all around or do you have 17x11's in the rear?

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
meanmystic is a close frind of mine. he went through ALOT of trouble, hassle, and BS to get American Racing to modify his rims. (when he bought them, they only listed 94-95 cobra's having clearance problems with brakes) here is a pic with his rims on my 98
www.geocities.com/johnshotcars/.
Meanmystic in on MW all the time, pm him, but I highly doubt he will tell you how to get it done(his and a yellow 98 in PA(?) are the only 2 we know of that have been modified to fit and give proper clearance w/o using a huge spacer, giving it a shiitty look.

·
Registered
180 Posts
18" TT2 will clear fine (thats what the one Mystic posted above has). 17" TT2 are a different story, the blades bend back and will not clear the brakes. I run 17x9.5 front, 17x11 rear. The rears are standard over the counter rims, and the fronts are a custom offset (with a spacer) to clear the brakes and not stick out past the fender.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for all the great help guys. I guess i'll look into something other than the torq thrust's. I really like them but i'm not sure i want all the hassles that go with them if they are a problem. I'm not totally decided on 17's or 18's yet either. I was looking to put on some hooker longtubes and off road x pipe, but i have 4.30 gears in it now with a bunch of other stuff so i decided to hold off on the longtubes and get some more rubber underneath it first before i start making more power.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I've got TTII's, chromed, on my Mach 1. 17x9.5's on all corners with 275/40-17's. The fronts hit the caliper right where the spokes blend into the rim. Required a 1/4" spacer up front to clear. But they still stay within the fenderwell line... thus they don't stick outside the car body. Those with drilled rotors look killer on those bodies.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts