650 Holley, yada yada yada.

Anyway, I have the opportunity to get both intakes dirt
cheap, I was just wondering which one would be better for
a street/strip car.

Thanks.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Do you mean Performer 289? I never heard of the torker 289. There is a Torker II 302 but that is an open plane

IMO if it is between the Performer 289 or the Air Gap I would say the Air Gap. It's power band is 1500-6500 verses the 289 idle -5500 and would work better with the 10:1 CR

·
Registered
774 Posts
I had a Torker 289 intake manifold a while ago. It was a single plane manifold, kind of a high rise design, with the carb mounting base having a slight offset to the side. It was a decent manifold back in the day.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will88LX, that's the intake I'm referring too.
How did you like it? Did you swap it to something else that you liked better?

gnocid5, Yup, its an old intake, not produced for a long time I think too. Its got a rotated carb plenum (supposed to be better for fuel distribution) and a high rise. I would only consider this or the Air Gap, hope that helps.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
The Torker 289 is a great intake!

I am using an unported one on my 302.I PowerHeads CNCd E7s with 1.90x1.60 valves,TFS #1 cam,Edelbrock 600 cfm carb,and an AOD trans.

The engine was assembled by me and went to the dyno 2 weeks later.Car made 256 rwhp and 265 rwtq,found out after the carb was not getting WOT from a stretched out cable.

I would have the casting trash removed from the intake runners and smooth the plenum surfaces and entrances to the runners.Port matching the intake to the heads is a good idea.

My setup fit under the hood with a stock '84-'85 dual snorkle aircleaner.Car looked basically stock under the hood(but was not the weak '84 5.0 HO CFI it was),other than the MAC 1 5/8s shortie headers.

I've seen these intakes sell for $25 US.eBAY has some usually,but they go for $75-100 US

·
Registered
774 Posts
JoeGT86 said:
Will88LX, that's the intake I'm referring too.
How did you like it? Did you swap it to something else that you liked better?

Joe, the Torker 289 was a good intake manifold. The low end off the line wasn't great, but it really started to come alive in the mid to higher RPM range. From what I know, Edelbrock stopped producing the Torker 289 around the mid 80's. They updated the design, that is why you now have the Torker II's.

The Air-gap is a newer design. From what I know, it is a dual plane manifold with a small section cut out under the mounting plate for the carb. Suppose to help air flow, that is where it gets it's name. It is a 1500-6500 RPM design.

I sold the Torker 289 a few years ago because I needed money, I should have kept it (I was dumb). I replaced it with a stock Ford 4-barrel intake and Ford 4100 carb on my 65 289. I'd definitely pick one up again if I found one in good shape. I'm sure the newer design manifolds are good too, but I haven't had too much experience with them. Good luck.

·
Formerly known as 89 steeda
734 Posts
I used to run a rpm on a 85 strip car I had and switched to the 289 but ported it first and went from a stock holley 750 dp to a Carb Shop built 750 dp and picked up almost 4 tenths and 3 mph.I know it was not a apples to apples comparison but it did not feel any softer down low than it did with the old intake and carb set up.I am thinking of putting it on my 89 now .Oh yeah,I always used a spacer with the torker 289 too.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
INTAKES

If you get MM&FF MAG..Get issue september 2002..They did a Carb'd intake shootout with the torquer 2 and the RPM AIR GAP intakes....enjoy:) :)

·
Registered
10,941 Posts
89 steeda said:
Oh yeah,I always used a spacer with the torker 289 too.
Almost always a good idea, especially with smaller carbs - i.e. 600-650cfm. I use the four hole spacers rather than the open spacers.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: INTAKES

PURESTREET5006 said:
If you get MM&FF MAG..Get issue september 2002..They did a Carb'd intake shootout with the torquer 2 and the RPM AIR GAP intakes....enjoy:) :)
I remember reading that one. RPM Air Gap seemed to be the best out of the new intakes produced for a 302. I also remember an article in Hot Rod magazine about the intake compared to the rest of the Performer, RPM and Victor Jr on a small block Ford. RPM Air Gap won for best performance. I wish I remebered what issue it was...

The Torker 289 I'm getting has been ported/polished to a 1250 gasket. The RPM Air Gap is out of the box. I'm gonna buy both (getting a deal for both), so I may have to do a test during the season to see.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
The Torker 289 is a good piece. I run a Weiand Xcelerator which is nearly a clone except for not having the twist to the plenum. The key is they need to be ported if the heads flow a decent amount at all. Fletch has an intake porting article on his webpage at http://www.jason.fletcher.net . There are a few pics from that article showing the plenum work needed on the Torker to bring it up to snuff. Out of the box they flow approx. 200cfm avg/runner. RPM will beat that out of the box.

I also have a couple pics on my webpage of the port work to my Xcel. Been happy with it but I think I'll step to a Vic Jr. sometime this season.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the links! They came in handy that's for sure.

Motorcitymustang, How'd you get the Ramchargers Dual fan to fit your rad? I've seen it and looks a bit too big for a stock fitting rad.

I think I'm gonna sell my RPM Air Gap and keep the torker, its in awesome shape, the guy took great care of it, and showed me all the receipts for the port work and clean up, etc.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts