Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 88 gt with a 351w, all forged, ported trickflow heads, vic jr intake, carb and all that with a c4 with fmvb and transbrake. I really don't like automatics so I want to go to a manual. I know the t5 won't hold the power and I really can't afford a tko, so I was wondering about the top loader trans? I was told they are pretty strong but I dont know anything about them. Will they easily work with a 351w in a fox and will they hold the roughly 400hp/tq?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I can attest that a toploader can handle the power, however I cannot answer how well it would fit in a fox. Fits fine in a '65 though :D

·
Registered
1993 LX
362 Posts
Make sure you are getting the correct "toploader" The ones from the late 70's are 3 speeds with over drive.

The one you are looking for are cast iron cases, cast as "HEH". From what i've been told, you have to cut the tunnel to work in the Fox Body.

The "RUG" is cast iron 3 speed with over drive used 77-78 (according to some sources).

The SROD is aluminum cased 3 speed with over drive used 79-82.

They all look similar. Look for HEH castings on an iron case to be sure.

I've been told to get a V8 T-5 and never look back. In my thread I asked what gear ratios in a top loader (for an autocross only car)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts