Ford Mustang Forums banner

Top End Kit Opinions

4K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  PearlWhiteGT 
#1 ·
So I am about to start modifications soon, trying to decide between the Trick Flow Track heat stage 2 kit or piece together an Edelbrock RPM2 and Edelbrock parts mimic the Trick Flow kit.
What are your thoughts?

#2 ·
Trick flow. The Edelbrock intakes and heads are old tech and are restrictive on power. The trickflow 11R heads are great and do wonders. I am very happy with my trickflow top end.

#9 ·
The Edelbrock rpm 2 intake and the Victor series intakes are better than all of the Trick Flow intakes, except the huge box R intake. However I completely agree that Edelbrock's heads, and first rpm intakes are old tech and restrictive.

I would go with the trickflow 11r 190 heads if it's going on a stock short block, but I don't think you'd go wrong with an Edelbrock rpm 2 intake as I believe it actually flows better than a Holley Systemax out of the box.

#3 ·
I think you can do better than either if you educate yourself and probably do it for less money. Also, used parts can save buckets of cash you can use for the supporting items that are not included, but needed to make the most of the parts you do buy.

A few questions to ponder.

1.) What are you starting with?
2.) What are your goals?
3.) What is the car's primary usage?
4.) How much money are you willing to spend?
5.) Are you willing to build and mod over time, or do you want it to be done in one big shot?

#4 ·
I think you can do better than either if you educate yourself and probably do it for less money. Also, used parts can save buckets of cash you can use for the supporting items that are not included, but needed to make the most of the parts you do buy.

A few questions to ponder.

1.) What are you starting with?
2.) What are your goals?
3.) What is the car's primary usage?
4.) How much money are you willing to spend?
5.) Are you willing to build and mod over time, or do you want it to be done in one big shot?
Not a big fan of used parts.

1.) What are you starting with? Bone stock 44,000 mile Hatchback
2.) What are your goals? Supercharged street car that makes 450-500 hp.
3.) What is the car's primary usage? Fun
4.) How much money are you willing to spend? what ever it takes within reason
5.) Are you willing to build and mod over time, or do you want it to be done in one big shot? over time but in chunks. For example the order I was planning to do Suspension, Top End/ Fuel, 5 lug conversion, Supercharger

#6 ·
Coyote swap would be my vote, it's something I would like to do at some point but it's not cheap from what I know. Instead of buying a complete kit from one manufacturer I would go with some trick flow 11R heads, a custom cam and a intake to match.

#13 ·
I am in the same boat as you, except the supercharged bit- I’m going to be staying n/a just for the sake of dealing with less bs.

I actually called trickflow yesterday and spoke with a knowledgeable fella for 6 minutes. He recommended the 11R heads. He says it bumps up the compression for 11:1 and their 306 small block made 432 crank hp.

Me personally, for my 2800-2900 pound coupe, it’s perfect.

I asked about the kit cam vs a custom piece he says you can definitely go custom. It won’t hurt anything that’s for sure and maybe gain some power but at the same time? Their TFS Stage 1 cam is designed to work with the 11R heads.

He recommended the track heat intake OR the R-series. (He says the R series requires a cowl so I was OUT)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#18 ·
I'd just get with Ed and have him set you up. Will probably cost a little more than buying a kit but it will perform much better. I've learned to spend the extra money and do it right the first time around.

Reactions: Ed Curtis
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.