Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a part number for a tool steel retainer that fits AFR 8019 valve springs?

I was going to run the AFR 8515 Ti retainers, which weigh only 11 grams, but after seeing how wimpy they are I'd rather run a tool steel retainer. The stock AFR 8514 retainer weighs 18 grams which feels like a boat anchor.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Why are you saying the TI retainers are whimpy? No issues here with TI, and I know others have ran them with success on street engines as well.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why are you saying the TI retainers are whimpy? No issues here with TI, and I know others have ran them with success on street engines as well.
Its not about the fact they are Ti. Not all Ti retainers are the same. There are varying degrees of quality in material, construction and design along with the heat treat process used.

The outside margins on these specific retainers are very thin compared to other retainers I've used in the past. I currently run a set of crower Ti retainers which have been fine so far. I just dont trust these new AFR retainers.

·
Old timer
6,021 Posts
Its not about the fact they are Ti. Not all Ti retainers are the same. There are varying degrees of quality in material, construction and design along with the heat treat process used.

The outside margins on these specific retainers are very thin compared to other retainers I've used in the past. I currently run a set of crower Ti retainers which have been fine so far. I just dont trust these new AFR retainers.
I believe they are CHE so they are not some Chicom crap like you see on a lot of those cheap LS drop in kits.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe they are CHE so they are not some Chicom crap like you see on a lot of those cheap LS drop in kits.
They are CHE according to the markings. Are these really up to the task? They just look so thin around the outer spring flange compared to most other retainers, only about .070" thick.

·
Old timer
6,021 Posts
You're using the AFR 8019 spring... You'll have spring issues before retainer problems.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You're using the AFR 8019 spring... You'll have spring issues before retainer problems.
is there a problem with those springs? i just got a set with those springs installed

1 - 8 of 8 Posts