Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guy's, long time no chat. OK, here is the deal, yesterday I started wrenching on my LX . I decided that I wanted to take off heads and maybe port them a little ( my stang has been sitting all year long underneath a car cover and up on 4 cement blocks )well you'll never guess what was inside when I propped the heads off, F%#$*N RUST AND STANDING WATER in 3 of the 8 cylinder's.

I guess I'm f#@$%d, right?

Any help or idea's please!

·
Registered
8 Posts
hey i'd try taking some coarse steel wool and cleaning the cylinder walls up, the top of the pistions will more than likely have carbon built up so I wouldn't worry about that but see if you can clean up the walls. Hey-atleast you know your rings are sealing. also I'd probably drop the oil pan off and check the bottom half
Later-bro

·
Registered
200 Posts
I bought an engine at a junkyard once that water
had gotten into the cylinders. The machine shop bored
a cylinder and couldn't get rid of some rust pits in
the cylinder. While it originally didn't look that
bad it really was.

I guess it really depends on how badly the cylinders
have rusted. I'd expect at a minimum a hone and
more probably an overbore.

·
Registered
779 Posts
How do you think the water got in there? Did you have an air cleaner on the carb and a hood on the car? I feel for you. If it makes you feel any better, I had straight H2O in the radiator of a past car. I went away to school and asked my buddy to pull the drain plugs out of the side of the Chevy's engine block. He didn't. The block was completely cracked between freeze plugs and was completely worthless. At least yours might be able to be fixed. Tom

·
Registered
705 Posts
Don't worry about marks.So long as there is no ridges or pits in cylinder wall especially near top of bore. It may clean up better than you think. Clean out with penetrating oil and some warn out wet & dry 1200 sand paper or rub new paper together till it is smooth then carefully clean bores..
Remember where there has been light rust the metal is stronger.. It's called weathering in the old days...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts