Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That is my question. I have a 96 Cobra that I drive mainly on weekends and race everytime the track is open. I have an opportunity to get some 33 spline axles at a decent price and was thinking how I could justify (to myself) buying them, and a spool would be a hell of a lot cheaper than a 33 spline Eaton. Basically my question is how do they handle on the street?
Anyone runnign a spool on the street?

Alex

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
To me it's liveable. Turns are slower and wider and I do run tall soft tires to absorb some of the twisting force. You'll know it's there though, no denying it.

I know I wouldn't be happy with it in a daily driver but weekend toy and track beast I'm happy with my choice.

Be sure to factor in the cost of C-clip eliminators as well. You need them as the stock c clips don't work with full spools. I'm not sure how they work on factory rear disk brake equipped cars though.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Spool?

I just put one in two months ago! Have driven about 250 street miles and few passes at the track... Marginally streetable but if your careful not to bad.... better with ET Streets than Comp TA's.

Actually I like it.....but not for the corner carver!....Mark

·
Registered
655 Posts
Which one would be cheaper....a spool set up or a diff/axle set up? I'll be doing one of these maybe in the summer and I just wanted to know.....

·
Registered
122 Posts
$ $ $

Spent $ 190.00 for Moser spool, and $ 140.00 for C-clip eliminator kit, so $ 330.00 total parts vs. $ 539.00 for Detroit Locker, looking at $ 200.00 total.

If money is not the object, locker might be the way to go.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I put on about 3-4k street miles each year, do you think a spool would be a good choice for me or no?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Been driving on a spool in my car for over a year now. After 20K miles I can say I don't regret the decision to go that route one bit. I like having the piece of mind knowing that my car will not break versus a little inconvience around tight corners. In fact if anything it's also helped me keep my driving within reason because you can't take corners too fast.

Bill

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Correct me if I am wrong but dont Detroit Lockers lock up the rear end too, making turns about the same as a spool? 539 is a bit much.

I am currently looking for a trak loc 31 spline unit from an f140. Going to a 33 spline carrier might be a little more than I am willing to spend right now. Even with the deal I was gonna get on the axles, Eaton and F150 31 spline rear ends are rebuildable and sold used around the internet and boneyards much more often than the 33 spline diffs. I might get away with a decent setup at a reduced price. Thanks for all your help guys

Alex

·
Registered
655 Posts
Is the spool quiet? I was never really into taking hard corners anyway so I am now leaning towards a spool.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Detroit Lockers lock up when you are going striaght and unlock when you turn.(thats the clunking noise you hear)

spools are quiet...the only thing you will hear is the tire chirpping.

fwiw...i went with a spool

·
Registered
650 Posts
Whats the difference between a mini spool and a full spool? I have a stock 8.8 housing currently using 31 spline moser's, auburn pro and c clip eliminators... thinking of going to a spool next time the rear is apart. I had a home made spool, by welding up the stock spyder gears, and it was great. The car never went so straight...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts