Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Monday: We are going to replace the upper and lower intake gaskets as well as the valve cover gaskets because they are leaking oil.
While the motor is torn apart, get rid of the A/C and the smog pump.

Buuuut... I'm still debating about pulling off the a/c. I like my defroster, but I never use my a/c. Who's removed theirs?

·
Registered
182 Posts
I did, and its far heavier than I imagined. I took everything off but the compressor, I didnt have a new bracket at the time. The condensor, accumalator, hoses and such was 18lbs. When I did take the compressor off, it weighe twice as much as I thought it would. I didnt weigh it, it didnt really matter then. But guessing it must weigh like 15 lbs, maybe 20. It was f-ing heavy.

·
Registered
442 Posts
If you truely never use the air conditioning it's likely one or more of the components are junk anyway.

Your heater and defroster will still funtion as good as they do now.

·
Registered
535 Posts
If you are not using it dump it. Though it is not running there is some parasitic loss, not to mention the weight of the thing. You will notice how light the front end does become taking that thing off.

·
Registered
746 Posts
If you don't use it or it doesn't work anyways, then dump it. You'll lighten your front end by about 30 pounds or so if you remove everything.

If it does work and you use it once in awhile, leave it in. Especially if it's a street car. You won't gain much by removing everything if it does work. If it doesn't, like I said, dump it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts