Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys got a question about changing the trans fluid on my '88 4 banger fox with the A4LD.. Its got 69k original miles which I believe to be true. Judging by the color of the trans fluid there's a good possibility its never been changed. Its pretty nasty looking but I'm hesitant on changing it because I've heard doing that can cause more problems than it fixes. I need to drive the car 1500 miles here in a few months and I don't need the trans going out on me. It shifts just fine right now with the occasion hiccup with the 1-2 shift but I think that's a problem with the vacuum modulator. I may be thinking to far into this but I just wanted to get some opinions. Thanks.

·
Registered
331 Posts
With it only having 69k miles on it I would do a pan drop, filter change and refill. Don't flush it.
Agreed, just did that with my 2004 F150 with way more miles (trans was whining when downshifting) I did a pan drop and filter change with 5 fresh quarts and she still shifts fine and no whining, I may do it again in another 6 months so it's gradual replacement.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I don't recommend flushes on any transmissions at all for any reason other than if water is introduced.

As has been said filter and fluid and off you go.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts