Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I see widely varying results with P heads. I think the TMoss intake would support those heads nicely. You'll have great bottom end up to 5,400 (that's where I shift). Although my heads are ported a bit. I cannot claim to be a professional. They were the first heads I attacked. So you can use my results as an attainable performance mark.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i know this sounds stupid but i wana do alittle port and polish on my heads, more just cleaning up but i dont know how to take the valves and springs off and out, can ya guys help me. im just a beginner

·
Registered
35,080 Posts
There are many different tools designed to compress the springs so you can remove them. There's one that bolts to the pedestal and has a 'crow's foot' that sits over the retainer. It's nothing more than a big lever and as you compress the spring you can use a magnet to remove the conical shaped 'keepers' which hold the retainer/spring on the valve. There's the type that has arms/claws which reach under the bottom of the spring and screw clamp on top of the retainer. As you tighten the screw, the 'claws' pull the spring up from the bottom releasing the tension and exposing the keepers for removal. Lastly there's big compressed air powered C-clamp which holds the valve from the bottom (head has to be removed from block) and compresses the spring so the keepers can be removed. Go to AutoZone - they usually rent at least one of these types for a small refundable deposit. Once you see it, you should be able to figure out how to use it if you're capable of doing the porting. Safety first - compressed springs store a lot of energy and can hurt you in lots of ways. Be careful. You may have to smack the top of the retainer (carefully) with a hammer and socker (so you hit the retainer not the valve stem) to loosen things up before you begin.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
You are not going to gain much, if any by cleaning the heads up. If you don't know how to take off springs, I would not recommend doing it. I would save some money, and pay somebody to do it. I port heads for a living, and have done many heads, and can say it takes more than sanding/cleaning up the runners to make a difference. Just some helpful advice, hate to see people get in over their heads. And in the end it is just wasting your time.

Greg(XSR)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts