Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In TMOSS's lower install instructions he reccomends Fel-Pro gasket adhesive but it's not available around here. Would you use 3M weatherstrip adhesive for this use? If not whats available at the local chain stores? Also, do you only use the adhesive on the intake side, no permatex blue around the water jackets? Then on the head side, only permatex blue around the water jackets and arp lube/sealer on the bolts?

Thanks lots!

vann

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Permatex RTV silicone works. Commonly called gasket maker.

Yes, use a very little amount around the water jackets on both sides. Ive pulled intakes maybe 100 times and have never had one leak (water) :)

I use a thck bead on the block to replace the cork gaskets. Use enough to connect to the intake when installed, but not too much so that it falls into the lifter valley.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I've used the 3M weatherstip for years....

I just use it on the head surface to hold the gasket in place.
None on the intake...It drys fast and stops the gasket from walking when you sit the intake down..

I never use the cork ends, just a good thick bead of silicone..
Personaly I use Toyota brand silicone.

·
Registered
10,720 Posts
The gasket kit I use - FelPro MS93334 comes with rubber gaskets, not cork and they have bumps (auto edit took out t*ts) on them that go into holes in the block so they do not shift. I use a dab of silicone at the ends of the rubber seals and have never had an oil leak from them. I don't use silicine on the water passages if the intake is not corroded around the water passages - it there is corrosion pits I put a thin layer on.

Permatex makes gasket tack that you could use too.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Tom! no need to post on the "other" site.

I should be returning the core later this week.

Thanks again,
vann

1 - 5 of 5 Posts