Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Premium Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am installing a TKX into my 1989 GT. Looking at drive speedo gear in TKX, it is a 12-tooth gear. What or where do I find the driven gear, gear on speedo cable, to get things matched up? I will be running 3.55 rear gears if that helps.

· Registered
929 Posts
Bought from Summit, TCET17765. I downloaded the Manual from Tremec, and it shows a 12-tooth gear on output shaft for Ford, 17 tooth for GM
I purchased the same transmission from the same vendor and I do not remember any option for speedo gears... Can't tell you what mine has as I havent got that far on my project yet...

· Premium Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SorsCode, yes, you are correct! I was told that they all come with 7 tooth drive gear on the output shaft from Termec. With 3.55 gear and my tire size it works out to 20 tooth driven gear for speedometer. Spoke with tech at Silverstate and that is what they confirmed. Thanks!

· Premium Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It turns out the 12-tooth gear for Ford and 17-tooth for GM is for electric pick-up for Electric speedometers. Under the mechanical drive is the seven-tooth for gear or cable driven speedometers. This trans comes with both drives to read speed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts