Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In reading various threads and watching videos; it seems that a lot of guys run ET Streets at the track with a 5 speed. How the heck are you hooking up? Our track prep isn't the greatest.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
IME, those bias ply tires aren't that great. They are something that gives the buyer a feeling of buying slicks when in reality they are just buying a street tire with wrinkle walls.
In order to keep them hooked it takes real good power management..clutch...motor..etc.

Ks

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry. I meant their drag radials with a 5 speed.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I had a feeling thats where it was going which is why I noted bias ply. With that said my answer above still pertains. A damn good clutch that allows you to tune how hard it grabs is paramount to keep DR's hooked with a manual.
There are some threads where people talk about the units they use but clutches are kinda top secret bc of how long it takes people to set them up. Look up "clutch tamer".

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So M/T recommends their ST compound slicks for manual cars. I don't see a 26" tire with ST compound. It would be sweet if I could drive to the track and race on radials. I guess I need a dummie's course on good clutches.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Look up clutch tamer. I think there was a good thread where people were coming out of the cracks to discuss clutches..

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm familiar with the Clutch Tamer. I've used the Ram Powergrip in the past.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Then you're already on the downhill side of the learning curve..

·
Registered
184 Posts
What are your 60ft. times currently and what's your suspension set-up?

Baseline guy is leading you in the right direction. Guys that compete in Coyote Stock class use the clutch tamer in their manual cars.

More seat time, better suspension, tire pressure tuning, data acquisition, knowing your launch points, controlling the slip of the clutch (which is basically what the clutch tamer does for you), not being afraid to break the car.. all these will help you hook better.

·
Premium Member
2,392 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts