Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm thinking about trying some solo II events in my area and had some questions. I wanted to know if a drag radial would work best or is the sidewall is to soft. I've also heard goood things about the Khumo MX's but I didn't know if the drag radial was the appropriate choice. I have upgraded my brakes (hawk plus) and installed ss lines. My next plan is to purchase the deep dish black bullit rims (17x10.5 for the rear). They will fit a '98 Cobra.. right?
Any feedback would be appreciated... Thank you.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Drag Radials will work. Pump the PSI to around 41-42 or so. MFE used to use them and won a few street modified trophies with them. I don't recommend the deep dish wheels because they're much heavier than the stock wheels. For a 17x10.5, the only Drag Radial that'll fit will be the 315/35/17. Nitto doesn't have a bigger size than that for a 17'' wheel I believe.

-Code

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info. i figured i needed a wider rim (have factory 17x8 '98 Cobra rims now). i was going to use my factory wheels up front and get a wider wheel for the rear.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Why would you? If you want wheels though, I'd stick with 17x9s on all 4s. That way you can rotate tires without too much of a problem. Kuhmo MXs are good beginning tires too BTW but just take your car out right now and hit the autocross course.

-Code

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
If ya gonna have a set of wheels for dedicated auto-x tires the Kumho Victoracer is the best grip for the buck. I recently moved to 10 1/2' with 315's on the rear and it has helped a bunch getting out of the corners. 255 to 275's loose to much traction. The 315's will bite as good as the fronts will hold meaning it has more push if you accell to early but soon as you are getting straight you can nail it and go.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the input. will the 10.5 wheel fit my '98 Cobra or will i have to buy wheel spacers? or make some other change?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts