Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question concerning tire inflation. Everytime I have had new tires put on my Cobra the shop inflates them to 33 PSI. Now, on the tire itself it says maximum inflation is 44 PSI. I never thought anything of it, until recently a friend pointed out that this is dangerous and I actually should inflate my tires to 3-5 PSI over the maximum of 44 PSI. Does anyone know if this is right? I am hesitant to overinflate the tires because that seems to me to be more dangerous than underinflating them. Any input is appreciated.

·
Corral Charter Member
2,594 Posts
No. You should not exceed the tire makes recommended inflation pressure. Doing it temporarily (say at the track) is ok, but you driving them on the road this way will cause excessive wear in the middle of the tire, as well as excessive heat.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Not to mention the fact that over-inflating the tires past the MAXIMUM AIR PRESSURE could cause it explode which WILL kill or maime you. I know this from experience. I have seen the results first hand in the civilian world and in the military. I wish i could find the pic of the remains of a crew chief who over-inflated an aircraft tire no bigger than an average car tire. You should always use the manufacturers specs for filling the tires and NEVER fill it past the max even for racing, there is no need. I do have to say that my cobra does not say what to fill the tires to in any of the usual places. Does anyone know where the sticker is located that says this?
Also remember that when your tires get hot from driving(even normal driving they get hotter(inside) than you realize) the pressure inside can increase dramatically. Cold and cooling down will have the opposite effect.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
JBCobra96 said:
Quick question concerning tire inflation. Everytime I have had new tires put on my Cobra the shop inflates them to 33 PSI. Now, on the tire itself it says maximum inflation is 44 PSI. I never thought anything of it, until recently a friend pointed out that this is dangerous and I actually should inflate my tires to 3-5 PSI over the maximum of 44 PSI. Does anyone know if this is right? I am hesitant to overinflate the tires because that seems to me to be more dangerous than underinflating them. Any input is appreciated.
The number posted on the tire itself has nothing to do with correct tire pressure for your use. Since the tire mfg has no idea who will buy and use this tire, or what load it will get, it just posts the maximum inflation pressure for that tire, on the tire. Tire pressure has to be increased as the load increases, such when on a trailer etc.

Ford posts recommended cold pressures on your door jam usually. This is a recommended pressure for all around use, including a good smooth ride. For just normal driving I prefer the 32-33 lbs range myself. I do understand the difference between understeer and oversteer and the effect air pressure has on that, but for normal street use, I don't air for that. Usually I run a tad more in the front than the rear.

Except for road racing, (or very spirited road driving) and drag racing at the strip (fronts), I can't think of any good reason to run very much over Ford recommended pressures. BTW...cold means cold, before driving, and with no sun shining on one side and not the other.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts