Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Im getting a set of 17X9 eagle style 168. The off set in 23mm and the back spacing is 5 7/8. Can I run 275's all the way around without the frone tires stickig out of the fender, otherwise ill just get a smaller tire up front. Is 245/45/17 to small for a 9 inch rim? Shoule I go to the 255/?/17. What series will be the closest to the 275/40/17 in back? Thanks

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Well my cars 94 GT i have same wheels as ur getting i think. And i went with 245x45x17 fronts and 275x40x17 rears. One thing u should know is the tire width is a percentage of the tire sidewall hieght, or maybe thats backwards, somthing like that.

My tires dont stick out, well the front is pretty close, its is ressesed in about a half inch forn the fender. so if u went with a 275 front, u would stick out im sure. then agian u could get those export fender flares(which looks awsome in person) for 90 bucks and that will help tuck those wide fronts back in some. I say go with the set up i have im happy with the looks and feel of them.
Defently u will wana go 275 in the rear. even a 275 dont look ide enough ( to me atleast). I guess the eagle wheels dont have the right offset or backspacing. Cuase with my 275 rears im still tucked under that fender by about 1.5- 2 inches. i have a few photos if u wana see , hell il just post them.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, those rims are the same ones. im getting 255/40/17 up front cause people were saying its unsafe to run 245 on a 9 inch rim tho. thanks for the pic

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
no prob, well i dunno how unsafe it is, my cars been driven hard around corners and straight, tire hasnt came off or had any problems. guess its a good tire. I went with 245 and 275 becuase they both have equal hieght in sidewalls, if u go with a 255 up front and a wider tire out back, u will end up with front tire having a higher sidewall height then the rear, by a noticable diference, then agian if ur going with 255 all around that should be fine.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i order them from tucker tire and they have my 275/40/17 for the back and either 245/45/17 or 255/40/17 for the front. at first i ordered the 245 for the front but every where i look prople dont recomend you do that. its good to know you havent had any problems. tirerack and others recoment a 255 or greater on a 9 inch rim tho. now i dont no which one to pic. i know thw afs sells wheel and tire packs with 255/40/17 and 275/40/17. i dont know what to do. i just want to be safe. BTW, you car looks sweeeet. love those big back tires

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
ide just go with the 255 up front with 275 rears, hey if u really wana get wide go with a 295 , thats what roush uses on there cars, so im sure it would fit, just cost more. But yea 255 275, im sure will look good and fil the gaps nicely.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for your time man. its nice to see somebody take the time to post pics and respond. now i know what im doing. thanks again

·
Registered
636 Posts
poostang said:
One thing u should know is the tire width is a percentage of the tire sidewall hieght, or maybe thats backwards, somthing like that.

Defently u will wana go 275 in the rear. I guess the eagle wheels dont have the right offset or backspacing. Cuase with my 275 rears im still tucked under that fender by about 1.5- 2 inches.
Ya you did get that backwards :D ....the tire sidewall height is actually a percentage of the tire width...oh ya, nice car too man, what tires did you go with?

I would go w/a 255 up front and atleast a 275 in the back. I think a 275 up front would rub alittle....I have 245's in the front and I get a little rub when the wheel is cut all the way to either direction...that may have something to do w/my 18's though. If you want the wheel to fill in the fender well better in the back you should get some wheel spacers for the rear wheels. I've seen as much as a 295 in the back and they were still tucked away quite a bit. My brother's gf has a 95 w/9 in. cobra R's all the way around...she wanted the rear wheels/tires to fill the fender well as y'all do, my brother bought some 5/16 in. wheel spacers and it brought the tire out just enough. I think if you go any bigger than that you may need new studs??:confused: ....they wheels look real good w/them though, the rear looks a bit fatter and meaner w/those spacers. Hope this helps a little man...good luck.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have 275's all the way around on a 9 inch rim. It barely sticks out in the front but it doesnt look bad at all... actually I get compliments on the the way it looks all of the time. I thought about going the route you are but you can't really rotate tires that way. anyhow if you want to see pics, email me and I can show you. I cant post them cause I dont have a place to host them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts