Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to leave the tremec trans in the car when I pull the motor.
Is this going to be easy. I always had the trans out when I pulled the motor.
Could you give me any tips when pulling.
What about putting back in? Is it tough trying to get the input shaft to line up?
thanks

·
Registered
35,590 Posts
Spend some money and buy one of the devices that allows you to change the angle of the engine/tranny assembly while it's on the cherry picker. Invaluable for doing what you want to do - especially on the installation. Get the front end of the car good and high before you start either the pull or the reinstall - it will help you get the angle you need without the tail shaft of the tranny interfering with the floor. To reinstall the tranny with the engine out of the car, set the engine down on some wood blocks, and stabilize it as much as you can before trying to stick the tranny. The biggest problem I've had is holding the engine still enough while jacking the tranny around to try and get the input shaft aligned. I've never been successful with the engine hanging on the picker. Last time I did it, I actually couldn't get the tranny in with the engine out of the car. Had to install it and bolt up the motor mounts -- that stabilized the motor enough for me to finally get the tranny in - from underneath.

·
Registered
8 Posts
its not hard at all. its a little more work, because you have 6 bolts to separate the engine from the tranny, but ony a couple are very hard to get to. just use a long extension with a swivel socket (most likely a 17mm) for the top 2. put a jack under the tranny before you separate it from the engine, of course. when you go to put it back together, make sure you jack the tranny to where its angle matches approx. the angle with which you will be dropping the engine in. altogether, not hard at all. ive done many like this.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes but what Im concerned with is will I have enough room to pull out. What I mean is how much does the input shaft stick into the throw out bearing. I guess with the radiator removed I mush pull back and then up? That easy?

·
Registered
35,590 Posts
Don't understand your question -- if you're pulling it with the tranny attached (your original post), there's no issue with how far the input shaft sticks in, etc. ??? It all comes out as one unit. Once out of the car, you simply unbolt and remove the tranny with the engine hanging on the picker. What am I missing?

With tranny attached, once everything is disconnected, you simply come up and forward on the engine/tranny while increasing the angle as you go. If you're pulling the tranny underneath, once you disconnect the crossmember (tranny), the back of the tranny/engine will drop down giving you the clearance you need to pull the tranny out. Getting it back in from underneath is a bit more challenging -- have a couple friends handy to muscle things around - even if you have a trans jack.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Get one of those summit lift plates. it attaches to the lower intake manifold. It has 3 places for the cherry picker to attach to, to allow more or less angle. It's pretty easy. I pull the motor with the accesories and trans all attached. Just have someone hold the hood way back and it'll come out pretty easily. We also put it back in the same way.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I think he wants to leave the tranny in the car, while he pulls the motor out.

That being said, I think it would be harder to do that than to either:

1. pull the motor and trans together. (my personal favorite)
2. pull trans completely, then pull motor. (easy w/ a lift)

I just see it being really hard to get back in and get clutch, etc all lined up and the trans in all the way with it mounted.

It is really easy to get the whole motor/trans assembly in/out with a load leveler. Just my opinion though.

I like having everything assembled and only having to hook up wiring and a few brackets after everything is dropped in.

·
Registered
35,590 Posts
My bad - must be a brain fart; I don't think it's possible to leave the tranny in the car (hooked up to drive shaft and cross member) and pull the engine. You might get the engine out -- but I don't think you'd ever get it realigned and back in since you've got to move the engine around to do it. I think it's either pull them together, or drop the tranny from underneath - pull motor - reinstall motor, then reinstall tranny. If you can pull them together, that's the easiest.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea I guess I could pull both.
But theres really no need to pull the tranny since theres nothing wrong with it.
But if its easier then I'll pull both.

Anyone else here just pull the motor with the trans in?

·
Registered
35,590 Posts
I think you'll find that you end up pulling it cause it's easier to do the job that way, not because there's anything wrong with it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts