Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any tips for installing an H-pipe by yourself? The problem I'm running up against is that my headers do not have studs, but only holes so I'm using bolts with a nut on the bottom to hold the H-pipe to the headers. My problem is that I cannot reach the top of all the bolts while under the car trying to tighten the nuts. I've tried to hold the bolt head with a rachet with some long extensions from the top (trying to wedge the rachet in the engine compartment so it doesn't move, but it usually falls off)

Any ideas?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Get a friend to hold a LOOOOONG swivel extension socket from the top, while you tighten from the bottom...

·
Registered
429 Posts
Ideally do what drudis said, but if you have no choice but to do it by yourself use Vice grips on the top and they will wedge themselves against something. other than that...you can tack weld the bolt head to the flange on the header.
-Ken

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I was thinking the easiest way was going to be getting a buddy over to hold the top of the bolt from the top of the car, but just wanted to see if anybody else has figured out an easy way to do it alone. I unfortunately do not have a welder in my garage, thought about that. Hmmmm. I wonder how strong superglue is?

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
haha, no superglue.

get a friend, it helps a lot even if they dont know wnything about cars... haha

take care,
adam

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
omg...thats gotta be a PITFA!!! Headers with studs are a MUST! Even then its hard to hold the pipe up and get the first few bolts started. I always do mine with a friend on a lift. If you had some muffler jacks its possible to do it by yourself...but not many people have a lift and muffler jacks :)

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tiresmoke,
I do have the hangers still on the H-pipe, so it is not that difficult to get the H-pipe lined up by myself under the car on jackstands. Car is up pretty high since I needed to be able to benchpress the T5 up there while on my back on the floor. I'll just go and grab a neighbor for a few minutes tomorrow morning once I get everything lined up and the nuts started.

Adam, What a shame, I thought superglue is good for everything? :( Maybe duct tape, if it's good enough for Nascar......

Thanks guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts