Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there any way to advance the timing by moving the timing chains? the timing cover is off now is it posibal? please help

·
Registered
460 Posts
By moving the chains no no. My chain jumped the valves hit the pistons very bad. and they stress and I am sure if it was off with the chains it would just be as bad. timing is controled by the crank sensor and the gear in front of the chains, that is what STEEDA timing adjustor does it adds a new gear and you are able to move it to change the timing.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Some company, I think it may be Steeda it making 'adjustable' chain sprockets that allow + or - 3 degrees. Don't know much about them.

Redstallion, did you ever confirm what happend? I kind of suspect that you may have been 1 tooth off on one side from the start and that would put bug stress on one side of that chain, possibly to the point where it jumped back that one tooth it was off to the correct position. That is why when you took off the cover, the chains were tight and properly aligned. Just a thought. I just got through building my motor and am ready to drop it in. That's why I have given your issue so much though. LOL, I have checked and recheck the timing probably 1000 times in the past two months.

·
Registered
460 Posts
No never did figure out what happened. I am replacing tensioners and chains though should have heads back next week with new valves and guides installed. yeah I will be checking them 1000 times just like you It is something you dont want to happen again and also something you dont want to happen at all. I will have to look into the sprockets you are talking about though

·
Registered
398 Posts
Your problem has been really bothering me. It is frustrating to have that kind of devastation and when you open it up, everything looks just fine. How did it run for the 55 miles? Was it rough?

·
Registered
460 Posts
No it ran great better than it has ever ran. Solid could spin the tires first second and some of third and sometimes from a roll in second with no clutch, it ran great. Thats why i dont knwo what happened. I am thinking maybe something with the tensioner messed up. Like for some reason lost oil pressure and didnt work right

1 - 6 of 6 Posts