Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please describe the process of setting the timing for me?

Thanks!

·
Registered
452 Posts
First this is one of my pet peves, GET A MANUAL. They are only like 15$-20$ from your local parts store and they describe this process for you. I am sorry for my rant now on to your question.

1) Remove the spout connector. Located under the air box on the passenger side, it is a little grey plug.

2) Mark the timing marks on the balancer with chalk or something, they can be hard to read.

3) Loosen the distributor hold down bolt.

4) Shine the timing light at the balancer and read the timing, you turn the distributor to raise or lower the timing. Sorry I can not remember which way does what.

The stock timing is 10*BTDC, you should be able to run as much as 14*BTDC using premium gas.

5) Tighten the distributor hold down bolt

6) REPLACE THE SPOUT Very important do not forget this step as your car will run poorly.

7) Take a test drive and make sure you do not have any detonation, repeat the process if you want more timing or have some detanation.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Got a question.

I didn't know about the little gray plug until after I set my timing. The engine runs fine regardless of not unplugging the gray connector. Should I go back and reset the timing anyway and disconnect the plug this time? If so...why? It runs just fine as is.

Thanks!

Vatmax

·
Registered
452 Posts
Yes, you should remove the spout. If you do not remove the spout you are not really setting the base timing, the computer may be adjusting the timing and you will not be getting an accurate reading with the timing light.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Yes, go back and disconnect the spout connector. By not taking it out you really didnt set your timing right. When you take it out it lets the timing change without the computer compensating for the change. When you take it out you will notice a drop in RPMs, because your timing is going from upper 20s ATDC to lower teens.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts