Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Rebuilt 306 ,aluminum heads 2.02 ,190,60cc,fcam,smogdelete , ... Car will start but not stay running unless i keep the throttle open a bit..cant even get the timing lighton...found compression stroke...put balancer at 0 roter and magnet inside line up at 1130ish..starts but won't t stay running and run really rich...pretty confident everything inside is right. Look for info but so many possibilities, just wanted some fresh input...its a 1990 fox lx...thanks

·
Registered
943 Posts
Trying turning the distributor to advance the timing a bit. Your timing could be too far retarded.
I just went through that same thing and it wouldn't stay running initially. I turned the distributor to advance the timing and it started and idled.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Iv have done that...multiple times..the further I advance the quicker it fires but still won't run....

·
Registered
484 Posts
Here’s the easiest way to get the timing spot on EVERY TIME.

Instead of putting #1 piston @ TDC & dropping the distributor in do this.

Put #1 @ 10° BTDC on the balancer & drop the distributor in with the rotor pointing @ #1.

Put the timing light on it with the SPOUT out & it’ll be spot on 10°.

Do you have the throttle body screw set properly?

Did you check for possible large vacuum leaks?

Assuming this is a factory computer?

Are the o2’s plugged in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Factory computer, o2s are in and plugged,don't know about leaks yet cause won't stay running..was unaware about the screw...stock tb..just small upgrades on the rebuild..and I have now tried 10..6..and 0..with the spout out..will fire but not stay running ..runs rich

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
What balancer do you have?

·
Registered
23,907 Posts
Is the fuel pump running when the engine starts?

·
Registered
23,907 Posts
that does not confirm pump is running

are you saying you can keep it running until it reaches operating temp?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
No I hear the pump prime when I turn the key and if I hold the pedal down just a bit it will stay running but not very well and I smell fuel..runs rich..as soon as let off it will die..have not been able to reach operating temp

·
Registered
943 Posts
Correct firing order?

·
Registered
23,907 Posts
No I hear the pump prime when I turn the key and if I hold the pedal down just a bit it will stay running but not very well and I smell fuel..runs rich..as soon as let off it will die..have not been able to reach operating temp
can you keep it running?

Prime has NOTHING to do with pump in RUN or crank

Also you have NO idea if it is rich, without knowing commanding fuel

so lets stop eluding to the fuel smell

·
Registered
640 Posts
Distributor rotor turns counter clockwise, so just double checking your firing order is right. Sounds like timing or firing order issue

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
check your maf sensor wiring

·
Registered
23,907 Posts
check tire pressure!!

·
Registered
23,907 Posts
NEED to be lower

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Very true...ok so I found a couple vacuum lines that were not connected..got it to run and idled..when I put the timing light on with the spout out it way avanced...like 20...if I turn it to 0 or even 10 it dies and won't start...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts