Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been bothered by this rasp from my engine, i don't know what it is, only comes from the passanger side and it starts around 3500-4500 or i can't hear it maybe longer. Well i re-did all my rockers, and re-sealed my headers. But it was still there, so i started playing around with the timing, i usually have it a 17 degrees, but after play around i've figured out it doesn't happen if i put it back to 12 degrees, I'm try to figure out how this could happen after a night of getting on it, what could have changed ? Help!!!!!! I don't to be running 12, when the life of the car has been set at 17!! I don't know?????????????

PLease Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
the sound

I'VE NEVER HEARD A PING sound from my car, the sound is like a higher trebbile sound, like a rapid clasp, or a crackle, it seems to go with the rpms rising, could a bad wire be affected different from two different timing settings ? And it doesn't do it while i rev it with no load.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
286 Posts
sounds like detonation to me. Ecspecially when it does it with the timing up and not down.

·
Registered
122 Posts
That's detonation (also known as pinging). It will sound like rocks bouncing around in a can as you accelerate hard or put a load on the engine.
Back your timing off to where you don't hear the ping anymore and then back off another 2 degrees to be safe. The car can still be detonating without you actually hearing it. That's why I recommend the additional 2 degrees. 17 sounds like way too much. 12-14 will probably be about where you end up.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ttt yeah but how does it differ

I'm wondering how it's so much different now, than before i was running it with 17 since adding my ported heads and stuff, and everypoe seems to be running atleast 17 on 93 octane, so i'm wondering what's different? could my balancer have spun after hitting it hard for the first time, and then i timed it to the wrong marks....? Ideas Help, would i just put #1 cylinder a top dead and then check the marks and see whats up...?

ttt

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ttt

ttt
help

1 - 6 of 6 Posts