Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i will be getting back my heads soon and want to time the cams myself. where to get the degree wheels and exactly how hard is it? what tools will i need? cam locking tool or not? i know the #1 cylinder is to be a TDC but do you run the cams straight up or advance them? as much info as you can provide will help, thanks.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone?

·
Registered
71 Posts
i have seen

degree wheels at the local rent-all shop...
there are positioning tools and clamps that are also specialty tools.

http://www.ontool.com seems to have good prices...

good luck!

btw- i'm paying someone to do it for me, because with an 'interference' motor, if something's not right, there are lots of valves to bend :eek:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i thought of that, just putting the headers on and heads and then taking it somewhere to time it. how much are you getting charged? if i can find someone for a reasonable price i might just do that, i doubt ford will just set the timing.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Guys, there is a specific procedure to be followed. You can't just slap the heads on without positioning the crank properly to ensure no valve/piston contact. Degree wheels will do you no good. The procedure is not complicated, but is critical! If you are going to do it yourself, get a decent manual to guide you through the procedure. If your are going to have a shop do it, and you aren't sure how to put the crank into 'safe mode', then have the shop bolt the heads on and time the cams. I would spell out the procedure here, but I am liable to miss something and possibly screw you up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts