Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got a chance to take the car to the track yesterday. I did not push the car too hard as you can see by the 60' times. I launched at 2500 and granny shifted the whole way. It was around 75* and pretty muggy at the track. Over all I am pretty happy considering the car is a heavy Vert. What do you think?

60-----1.807
330----5.361
1/8----8.299
MPH---84.33
1000--10.831
1/4---12.962
MPH--105.57

Engine Modifications:
- K&N 4" Cone
- Custom Power Pipe
- Aluminum 3 Row Radiator
- 9mm FMS Wires
- C&L 76mm Mass Air
- FMS 65mm throttle body
- FMS GT-40 Upper/Lower Intake
- TFS 1" Phenolic Intake Spacer
- 180* Thermostat
- Crane Cams 1.7 Roller Rockers
- Crane Cams HI-6S Ignition
- Crane Cams LX-91 Coil
- Pioneer SFI Crackshaft Dampener
- BBK 1 5/8" Shorty Headers
- 2 1/2" MAC ProChamber
- Magnaflow mufflers
- 3" Magnaflow Cat-bak
Computer:
- PCM for less Custom Chip
Fuel:
- Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator
- Walbro 255 l/hr High Pressure fuel pump
- 36lb injectors
Power Adder:
- Vortech SC-Trim - pullied for 5 psi
- Bosch By-pass valve
- Vortech/MSD Boost Timing Master
Drivetrain:
-Tremec World class T-5
- Cobra clutch
- Hurst Shifter
- Steeda Adjustable Clutch Cable Quadrant
- FMS Aluminum Drive shaft
- FMS 3.73 rear gears
Suspension:
- Eibach Springs (Front Only)
- South Side Machine Lift Bars
- Bilstein Shocks and Struts
- Kenny Brown Front Sway Bar
- Kenny Brown Subframe connectors
- Custom Six Point Roll cage

Here she is, ready to go.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
honestly ....kinda slow..if it was NA then i wold say good..but not a blower car with all that stuff..i used to run 13.0 on all seasons with just heads, b-303, gears and exhaust..no suspenion work..just tuned right..and it was at the same MPH

you should be trapping at 108-112..how safe is you tune?i can see you are running low boost..you can run up to 12#'s on a Atrim...do it :)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The tune is fairly safe. I would think 5psi would be the same as heads and cam. 12lbs is out of the question for this motor, it has 147000 on the long block. How heavy was the car that ran 13s? 3500lbs? The car is very heavy. Next time I go back, as I get more confident about the trans and axles staying together I will really push the car. My guess is there is another .3-.4 and 2mph in her.

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
what track you run at?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I think you need a bag of ice, longtubes, power shifting, and a better tune.

My 92 GT 'Vert was 3400 pounds with me in it at the track (very little gas, no stereo, no spare, but for the most part full weight). Mods were RPM intake, 70mm TB, 73mm MAF (stock injectors), 1 5/8" longtubes, tremec 3550, 3.73's. On a stiff autocross suspension, I could barely hook up, but the best mph was a 102.34 - with stock heads, stock cam, and over 150k on everything. I did ice the intake and speed shift the car, but I didn't even truly power shift. Didn't even advance the timing - that run was on like 12 degress and 87 octane. There was plenty more left in the car, but I sold it awhile back. Best 60 ft. was a crappy 2.04 on street tires (on heavy stock rims) on a 13.70 run @ 101. This is in similar weather - Texas heat sucks the life out of cars!

Your car looks great, and I'm sure it's not light weight, but the rollcage is probably offset by the rims, and the fact that it's an LX means it still shouldn't be as heavy as my piggy GT. Did you weigh it at the track?

My car HATED shorties (JBA's that I took off within weeks because I hated them so much) with the stock heads, and honestly was probably 2-3 tenths faster with the longtubes. The heavy car really needs the extra midrange from the longtubes, IMO.

I think your tune is way off. You're probably taking too much timing out and running it way rich. Have you put it on a dyno?

I think the blower is too big if you only want to run 5 psi. I would pulley it a bit so boost comes in sooner, and since you are probably shifting at like 5400 max with the stock heads and GT40 you still won't see all that much boost at the top end.

Options to consider - get rid of the GT40 - it sucks in stock form. Get an RPM on there and even with your 5 psi pulley I bet the car picks up a couple mph. If you want to keep the GT40 and keep the motor under 5500 pretty much ALL the time, get a set of small heads and some 1.7 rockers. Something like AFR 165's would be nice.

What I would do: Drive the piss out of the car and add boost. Blowers are only fun when they are working their asses off. You spend a lot of cheddar, so might as well enjoy it!

Nice car, good job on the 12's, but there's plenty to be had in the combo. :D

-Jacob

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Crobracloud,
Blower to big? The SC is meant to run 5psi. Before the tune the car ran 12.5 AFR with 19lb injectors and made 304/347. Peak HP was at 5600 and it pulled all the way to 6000. I shift at 6000. The tune is a custom chip from pcmforless.com. With a jig I built to hold the O2 in the tail pipe the owner and I tuned the car on the street. The car has base timing of 14*, aggressive timing curve below 3000, 1* retard BTM under boost, and 12:1 AFR across the board. My car is the first Ford he has done but he is very well known with the GM guys and a good friend of mine. I trust his tune. I plan on going back and hitting mid 12s before I change anything, no doubt the car has it in her, but I am building a new motor for her. Rebuilt 91 302, Stock ported heads(porting them myself), Steeda #19 cam, and 8-10psi.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
tached93gt said:
what track you run at?
cb93lx is right I was at Rockingham. If you ever what to go with a bunch of car let me know. I get my car club together about 3 times a year to cruise down there. We usually have about thirty cars for the cruise.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Hi,

I agree with cobracloud and onesillynotch, I think your numbers are a little soft for the mods you have. No disrespect to your tuner, but you really don't need a chip for 5#'s of boost. And also, while I can understand your apprehension about putting a lot boost thru a shortblock with that many miles on it, I think you're being a little too conservative. Next time you're at the track, pull the chip, time the car at 14* and put the BTM on zero. Between the 5#'s of boost, and the 36# injectors you have, you won't hurt anything by doing that, and I think you'll probably pick up about 3 mph. I also bet you could run as much as 8#'s of boost with that set up with no problem, and pick up even more.

Hope this helps,
Jim

·
Registered
127 Posts
bit said:
Crobracloud,
Blower to big? The SC is meant to run 5psi. Before the tune the car ran 12.5 AFR with 19lb injectors and made 304/347. Peak HP was at 5600 and it pulled all the way to 6000. I shift at 6000. The tune is a custom chip from pcmforless.com. With a jig I built to hold the O2 in the tail pipe the owner and I tuned the car on the street. The car has base timing of 14*, aggressive timing curve below 3000, 1* retard BTM under boost, and 12:1 AFR across the board. My car is the first Ford he has done but he is very well known with the GM guys and a good friend of mine. I trust his tune. I plan on going back and hitting mid 12s before I change anything, no doubt the car has it in her, but I am building a new motor for her. Rebuilt 91 302, Stock ported heads(porting them myself), Steeda #19 cam, and 8-10psi.
Well, sounds like you are on the right track then. Looks to be that the car is just being babied too much to run "the numbers." Let a friend beat up on it and see if it improves at all. With the parts on the car, and if the tune is like you say, it should be running 110 traps IMO. Practice makes perfect. The next longblock should be a tad faster, but at least good for peace of mind!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
cobracloud said:
Well, sounds like you are on the right track then. Looks to be that the car is just being babied too much to run "the numbers." Let a friend beat up on it and see if it improves at all. With the parts on the car, and if the tune is like you say, it should be running 110 traps IMO. Practice makes perfect. The next longblock should be a tad faster, but at least good for peace of mind!
No doubt I am being easy on the car and I am not the best driver. I have to drive the car everywhere I go so I am a little apprehensive about breaking stuff especially 2 hours from home. I may let my brother-in-law drive it; he is one of the best drivers I know.

Racer LX,
I cannot pull the chip. The C&L has a 19lb sample tube in it and the chip takes care of the injectors. I know I don't need a chip for 5psi but he gave it to me for his cost $80 (and will for any Mustang owner that is interested while he is still learning Fords) and I wanted one. After the tune the car felt much stronger than the 19s and FMU, I gained 2mpg, and it fixed my idle problems caused by the car running 17:1 at idle. I will be putting more boost through the new motor but the car is driven daily so I don't take any chances.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts