Ford Mustang Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Just don’t complain later when it fails/ cracks.
It’s the fat design of the tip that’s the issue, not the height of the covers.
I was figuring I'd complain to you directly when it fails and/or cracks ;)

I think it's noteworthy that the height of the covers isn't really even a factor, parallel to the flange surface. Plenty of room there in fact my clay hats didn't even smash against the "top", just against the inboard wall. The only place contact was made was at those corners so I'm not even convinced a spacer would have made a difference except to hit the alternator with the flange.

Font Screenshot Rectangle Parallel Software

Anyway here it is for posterity if I come back saying I messed up then I guess people will know not to be like me. And that guy on facebook and his buddy.

Otherwise I'm just gonna enjoy this car since it's officially put-it-back-together time instead of take-it-apart time :D:D:D:D

·
Registered
54 Posts
On my 1994 Cobra, I used Scorpion Endurance 1.7 stud mount rockers on AFR 185 heads, .550 total actual lift, stock Cobra GT40 intake with no spacer, STOCK valve covers, and had no problems with clearance at all on anything, anywhwere. Ran it like that for years.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
On my 1994 Cobra, I used Scorpion Endurance 1.7 stud mount rockers on AFR 185 heads, .550 total actual lift, stock Cobra GT40 intake with no spacer, STOCK valve covers, and had no problems with clearance at all on anything, anywhwere. Ran it like that for years.
Until you posted it; I hadn't realized the difference between the race and endurance rockers. I just Googled it and this explains why some can get away with stock covers and some can't.

Reactions: sour

·
Registered
39 Posts
I know I'm going to regret asking but I've been reading old threads here and other google results all night long and I'm still no closer to an answer so here goes:

Is there a set of aftermarket valve covers that fits over Scorpion Endurance roller rockers AND

• Doesn't require an intake spacer under the 94/95 Cobra intake (with integrated elbow)
  • Doesn't hit the alternator
  • Has the oil filler in the right place
  • Does not require any other bull #### to make them fit.
  • Seriously no other bull #### to make them fit.
  • Seriously no other bull #### to make them fit.
Thank you for any constructive suggestions!

View attachment 1081037
How about the Ford Racing aluminum valve covers by Proform? PRO-302-003 at Summit Racing

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
If those had been a sure thing I'd have been happy to buy them, cost isn't really a major deterrent for me as long as it's clean and just plain works.

But nobody had anything certain, there are so many combinations of things and so many different outcomes from so many different people. Everything was a guess... kinda funny for an engine they made half a century but I get that 94/95 are a unique application for that engine with a low hood and a pushed-back alternator.

The only thing I can say for absolute certain is that on stock E7 heads, with Scorpion Endurance series pedestal 1.72 rockers, stock valve covers on my 1994 Mustang GT fit height-wise with miles of clearance (no clay to roof contact with >0.25" of clay) but just barely scratch the narrow top corners of the stock valve covers.

I'm guessing I could have taken a sacrificial cheap chisel and ground its tip to a round nub, then rested the valve covers on a towel over a piece of wood as a soft anvil and knocked little bumps out just at those corners.

But instead I just shaved the corners off. I can't think of any way this would weaken the rockers unless the uneven weight somehow leads them to "walk" their fasteners out or something. I'll keep an eye and an ear on it and be honest if failure occurs my ego isn't that big.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
How about the Ford Racing aluminum valve covers by Proform? PRO-302-003 at Summit Racing
those are tall, and wouldn’t fit without a spacer.
Not sure they would clear the alternator issue either.
Font Terrestrial plant Number Screenshot Rectangle

·
Registered
39 Posts
those are tall, and wouldn’t fit without a spacer.
Not sure they would clear the alternator issue either.
View attachment 1081214
I guess it depends on your set it up. You can buy or have a upper intake spacer made so it will clear the valve covers... there is a post here on corral about it... search:
Proform Ford Racing slant-edge valve covers not for use on efi?
oh well... I thought I could help. Good luck. 🍻

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
If you find a cover that clears the rockers and intake, but not the alt, you could low mount the alt.
Or you can fab up a short two hole strap and relocate the alternator slightly outboard to eliminate the interference between the alternator and the valve cover. I did exactly that so I could use the above mentioned slant edge covers on my track day '95. That particular engine is using an EFI single plane manifold though, so clearing a long runner EFI manifold isn't an issue. In addition to the strap, a spacer the thickness of the alternator mounting boss is required. You can through bolt on the strap extension to the alternator, and use a nut on the back, I chose to tap it which is why the bolt is larger at the alternator.

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Auto part

Jay

·
Registered
195 Posts
Ford Racing used to make a set of investment cast aluminum valve covers (chromed on the outside). They had the oil filler on the passenger side in the stock location and nothing on the drivers side. I used them for years with both a 94-95 Cobra intake as well as a Holley Systemax with Comp Cams Pro Mag 1.6 pedistal mount roller rockers. Stock 95 Cobra hood and no intake spacers.

The only change I made, which had nothing to do with clearance, is I cut off the cap flange on the the filler pipe and added a breather. This caused me to fab and install a baffle inside the cover where the filler / breather was located to keep oil from getting thrown up into the breather media by the rocker directly underneath it.

First Generation: Edelbrock Renegade Heads, Comp Cams Pro-Mag 1.6 Pedestal Mount Rockers, FRPP Cast Chrome Valve Covers, Cobra Intake No Spacer. T-Trim With Standard 94-95 Discharge.
Motor vehicle Automotive air manifold Automotive fuel system Automotive design Automotive super charger part

Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Car Automotive design

Second Generation: Same Edelbrock Renegade Heads, Comp Cams Pro-Mag 1.6 Pedestal Mount Rockers, FRPP Cast Chrome Valve Covers, Holley Systemax II No Spacer YSi With Discharge Converted To 86-93 Style.
Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Headlamp

Hood Automotive air manifold Motor vehicle Rim Automotive design

Here is the valve covers I used - No longer a current product but maybe you can find some NOS laying around on a dealer's shelf.
Product Tool Automotive exterior Rectangle Bumper

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Those are foxbody valve covers.
They don’t fit most SN95s because of the alternator.
They fit your car because of the supercharger brackets that move the alternator.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts