Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I now have what I would describe as a thunk or loud 'tick' almost everytime while turning over un-even pavement - entering or leaving a parking lot or driveway from the street.

I've double checked things and all looks correct. I re-checked the LCA mounting bolts and the way the springs are sitting. Everything looks right. Is this a common problem? Anyone have this and fix it?

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Have you retorqued the LCA bolts?

If so, I would start looking at the UCAs and the quad shocks. Ditch the quads now. But most likely the UCAs are warn and you are hearing them clunk since the LCAs are a solid unit now.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't re-torque. I just got under there quickly and made sure that things were tight and looked correct. It may be time to look at the upper mounts now.

·
Registered
311 Posts
You should torque them with the suspension loaded, so you don't get bind. Check your quad and swaybar bolts too.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses. Re-torqueing with the suspension loaded sounds like good advice. I will try that soon. Has anyone else had this problem? I hope this is not 'normal'.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I had the exact same problem when I added the Ford upper and lowers to my 94GT. It worked fine at first and then after a month or so the noise started - usally as I turned into an angled driveway like you decsribe.

I retorqued everything and the noise went away for good. The uppers will still fine but the lowers had just barely loosened up. Remember it takes lots of torque on those lowers. Mine was supposed to be 71 - 97 lb-ft and had only loosened to around 65.

I hadn't really thought about it, but I did tighten them the first time while on the jack stands and the retorqing was with the car sitting normal and me just reaching up under it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts