Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran my codes the other day and got “Throttle position sensor out of range”. I have been trying to test it today and my multimeter is giving me just 0 for my reading. This is a brand new multimeter. I connected the positive to the green wire (dont have any sewing needles to pierce so I dug out an area with a screwdriver) and I placed the ground the black wire. I turned my key to the run position as well. I must be doing something wrong. Any ideas?

·
Banned
25,617 Posts
what you are measuring is the elec potential between the sensor ground and sensor signal

if both are the same, your meter will read 0volts potential

take your ground probe to batt negative and read

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what you are measuring is the elec potential between the sensor ground and sensor signal

if both are the same, your meter will read 0volts potential

take your ground probe to batt negative and read
I’m not sure what bat negative means (I dont know much about wiring) but I followed a really detailed explanation of measure the TPS and fact checked it with a couple of explanations of people doing the same thing, so I feel like I am reading the right wires....

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
yes that is correct. I thought the pink wire at the tps was voltage and the green wire was the signal back to the ecu. Put the black lead to ground and probe all 3 wires and see if any of them have 5v when the key is on.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I’m not sure what bat negative means (I dont know much about wiring) but I followed a really detailed explanation of measure the TPS and fact checked it with a couple of explanations of people doing the same thing, so I feel like I am reading the right wires....
The negative terminal on your battery is battery negative aka ground.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes that is correct. I thought the pink wire at the tps was voltage and the green wire was the signal back to the ecu. Put the black lead to ground and probe all 3 wires and see if any of them have 5v when the key is on.
The negative terminal on your battery is battery negative aka ground.
Alright thanks, will do tomorrow.

·
Registered
29 Posts
On a car this old, the electrical connectors should be considered the likely cause. The salt-n-pepper connectors (the white one has all the sensor inputs to the EEC) and the individual sensor connectors can get oxidized. Every so often that happens with my TPS - the symptom is a hanging idle. When that happens, I break out the contact cleaner and hit the white connector and all the sensor connectors in the engine wiring harness.

·
Banned
25,617 Posts

BATTERY negative post

the black wire, MIGHT NOT be connected to the battery, open circuit

Also checking at TPS is only testing there, you also have to test at the ecm, if the testing at the tps is okay

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
On a car this old, the electrical connectors should be considered the likely cause. The salt-n-pepper connectors (the white one has all the sensor inputs to the EEC) and the individual sensor connectors can get oxidized. Every so often that happens with my TPS - the symptom is a hanging idle. When that happens, I break out the contact cleaner and hit the white connector and all the sensor connectors in the engine wiring harness.
So your saying there is a chance the electrical connection is broken so my TPS is completely out of order? Sorry but what does a hanging idle mean? I looked online but I cant find anything. My car will idle fine when I first start it or when I first come to a stop and then after 15 to 20 seconds or so it will start dropping rpms every couple seconds, kind of like a stutter.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BATTERY negative post

the black wire, MIGHT NOT be connected to the battery, open circuit

Also checking at TPS is only testing there, you also have to test at the ecm, if the testing at the tps is okay
Alright so connect my ground to the battery, and connect the positive to the TPS sensors green wire, correct?

·
Banned
25,617 Posts
one lead on green

one lead on black, then move the lead on black to bat negative

·
Registered
29 Posts
So your saying there is a chance the electrical connection is broken so my TPS is completely out of order? Sorry but what does a hanging idle mean? I looked online but I cant find anything. My car will idle fine when I first start it or when I first come to a stop and then after 15 to 20 seconds or so it will start dropping rpms every couple seconds, kind of like a stutter.
Old connectors get oxidized and don't connect. This is why contact cleaner was invented.

By "hanging idle" I mean when I start driving the car, it idles at a normal speed, but after a while when I come to a stop, it doesn't drop to normal idle speed. This is what happens when the TPS signal goes to 0 and then reconnects.

Your symptoms sound different, but if the EEC sees the TPS at 0 volts, it could be either the TPS connection itself or the white connector to the chassis harness.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I’ve had this issue in the past too. Cleaning the 10 pin connectors is the solution.
Interesting when it happens when you’re datalogging.....It shows a part throttle condition even when you’re not touching the pedal.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I’ve had this issue in the past too. Cleaning the 10 pin connectors is the solution.
Interesting when it happens when you’re datalogging.....It shows a part throttle condition even when you’re not touching the pedal.
Datalogging is how I discovered what was going on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts