Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that if I turn the tps counter-clockwise as far as possible the least it will read is 0.980. The guy I bought it off of said it ran the best at 1.1 in his car. Should I bump it up to 1.1? Another thing, does the tps make the car run richer, and if so where should it be set to pass emissions? So to sum it all up, I would like to know where it should be for best performance as well as for when I take it in for the emissions test.
Thanks

·
Registered
678 Posts
The guy you bought it from told you it ran best at 1.1?!?!?!? What a schmuck. From what I've been told my MANY people, you NEVER want your TPS voltage over .98 when the car is just sitting. If the TPS voltage gets too close to 1v, the computer jacks your idle way up.

I wouldn't do it man. Leave it where it is. Otherwise you're gonna give yourself all kinds of driveability problems.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
And people say there isn't a god. :joy:

I got REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY DEPRESSED ;) that I didn't get to the following thread sooner:
http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=228331

Check out the last line in my sig. :)
Now, I get to have fun!

Did the former owner also on a chrome 12 foot wing with NEON lights? WHAT A TOOL!

Do a search on TPS and my name.

Basically, after ~.98v, the EEC (pre 94) adds in "accel pump" to the BASE fuel calculation. Now, in the REAL WORLD, the O2 sensors CONTROL THE WORLD!!! (maniacal laughter...:)). So, the trim level will be set "TOO LEAN". That trim level and those other "semi-worthless" ;) sensors are used during accelerating, decelerating, WOT, cold start, etc. BUT, the trim level is set in normal cruise mode and is set when the O2 sensors say that the mixture is in stioc. So, with the RICER BRAIN DEAD TPS MOD, the car runs LEAN when at WOT, accel, and decel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU did the SMART THING! You ASKED an informed group. Be VERY CAREFUL of the BS you read on web pages. Most of the time, people are trying to sell you something or you have these snot nosed teenagers that are CLUELESS about stuff giving out advice on advanced topics.

BTW: "My credentials" : I taught EE/CS for 3 years, I've been a hardware designer for "a good number :D of years", your Internet traffic is going through (90%+ chance) a network switch that I designed part of, I've done control/response "stuff" (goes boom :)) that makes the fuel injection stuff look very primitive. So.... now consider the source that told the former owner about that ricer mod.

See my engine/EEC web page for MUCHO EEC info.
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/

BTW:
DOGGIES RULE!! DOGGIES RULE!!

And people say there isn't a god. :joy:

Lastly, still don't believe me? Hey, I could really be a 12 year old still stuck in 3rd grade. Well, for ~$200 (if you have a MAF car so that you can read the trim levels from the EEC), YOU can see for yourself! Just buy a scantool or AutoXray. Do the ricer mod of setting the TPS to 1.1v and look at the trim levels adjust (for a leaner setting).

Opps, by law, I HAVE to end with the following: :)

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
NyurDREAMZ said:
around .98 to .99 try resetting your computer after u set the tps ...then check it again to make sure it is still at .98 or .99
:hammer: :blam: stangPlus2Birds practices his whack-a-mole skillz

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
MFE said:
:hammer: :blam: stangPlus2Birds practices his whack-a-mole skillz
Yea, I'm still PO'd about mosquitoes biting my Super Cute doggie. If people stopped screwing around with Fuel Injection sensors and did something USEFUL like killing every single one of those little flying demons from [email protected], then my doggie would be safe from mosquitoes.

Kill mosquitoes, don't screw around with TPS or IAT mods! :D :D

Gee, who would you have preferred as a teacher? Me (fun, and passionate about my field), or Jeri Ryan (Droooool) (Boston Public). If you are male and said me, then YOUZ GOTS PROBLEMS!! ;)

As required by law:
Doggies Rule!
Doggies Rule!
Doggies Rule!

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
Im kinda lost here, never messed with the sensor, when i put it on i just screw the two screws in and plug the sensor in. Is there something i am supposed to be checking? Am i forgetting something? Let me know how you check the voltage and if i should be doing this everytime i install it. Thanks guys.

:joy:

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
SVTCobraLTD said:
Im kinda lost here, never messed with the sensor, when i put it on i just screw the two screws in and plug the sensor in. Is there something i am supposed to be checking? Am i forgetting something? Let me know how you check the voltage and if i should be doing this everytime i install it. Thanks guys.
:joy:
Gee, just because FORD did exactly *the same* thing with MILLIONS of engines Every Year (that HAD to pass smog, or Ford would have to fix it under warranty and Federal Smog laws), what makes you think that YOU could do the same thing? ;) Humph!

Those Ford employees knew the secret, you MUST say: DOGGIES RULE! to properly set the TPS!. :) :)

Okay, in *real life*, if you bought an *aftermarket* TB (hee, hee, snicker, snicker), then ALL OF THOSE POS MAY need to have the TPS adjusted. Yea, buy non-Ford and you often get *poor tolerances* and often sub standard quality. If you look on my web site, under the Engine/EEC page, under the EEC section, you'll see a wiring diagram. With a DVM, measure the sensor voltage and *the sensor ground wire* to see what the value is at idle. It should be under 0.98v. Most of the time, it will be under 0.8v. You get NO benefit by adjusting it higher than 0.8v.

Okay, if you have over ~450hp, then you should go to a 70+mm TB and you couldn't use the 65mm FRPP TB. Otherwise, BUY FORD.

DOGGIES RULE!
DOGGIES RULE! :joy: :joy:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts