Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best throttle body to buy for a 97 Cobra? Any dyno results?

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Unless you're running an aftermarket intake (ported/shorten runner), a bigger/single bore throttle body is a waste IMHO... The stock twin 57mm flows more than enough for most N/A applications...

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Rev Happy is correct, unless your heavy modded with a short runner intake then the stock TB will flow WAY MORE air then you can use. If you do get to the point to where you "need" a TB then I suggest either a BilletFlow or an AccuFab single blade and either one will provide about a 5-7 RWHP increase in power on a N/A DOHC car. ;)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Something to be gained.

First: I'm a total gear head - Meaning I can't leave anything alone for long.
Second: Two Saturdays ago I was suffering from serious car boredom.

So, I took my spare TB, and re-worked it with my die grinder using sanding rolls.
I re-shaped the air entry to roll smoothly into the throttle blades. I re-worked the divider slightly as it transitions into he bores.

While I was there, I drilled out the steel inserts in my TPS sensor and set voltage to .98 volts.

I dynoed with these mods last Friday, and I'm happy with the final combined results: 7 hp and 11 ft/lb for 2 hours work. I'm now at 269 hp and 284 ft/lb at the wheels. All testing was done on the same dyno, and all runs were SAE corrected.

I do agree the factory TB flows a lot of air, but there is always room for improvement. I will do a back to back dyno later this week stock vs. modified as I have both, and post exact results here.

If anyone wants to see pics of the modified TB and/or dyno graphs, let me know so I can post them.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
That's some really good gains for the 2hrs. of effort, esp. on a near stock car. Post some pics, I'd like to see your work! :joy:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts