Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, since I'm currently in the middle of my 98 to 02 engine swap, I've decided when the new engine goes in, I'm going to run Mobil 1 5W-30 Full Synthetic....expensive?....maybe....worth it....I dunno.
While I was at Advanced Auto yesterday to get radiator hoses and a brass T-fitting for the temp sensors, I picked up 5qts of the 5W-30

Well, to go along with this. I came across this tonight:

$19.99 from www.mustangparts.com

I placed my order just a few minutes ago.

I figured, the plaque would be a nice reminder under the hood for me or to let the mechanic (if i ever take my car to one for work) that is what's needed....and a lil more visual eye candy for the engine bay.

Do you think it was a good idea to go full synthetic? or a waste of money? Well the plaque might be a waste. but is running that oil a waste/bad/harmful?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I have been using Mobil 1 since my second oil change. I chnage my filter and top it off at 3,000, then do a full oil + filter change at 6,000 miles. I'm NOT religious about changing my oil. Sometimes it goes 5,000 (instead of 3,000) so to me, synthetic is worth it for the added peace of mind.

IMO, if you ALWAYS chabge at 3,000 miles, then dino oil will probably work just as well. In fact many might say that going 5,000 on dino oil is also fine. Again, this is JMO, I don't think you should mix oil brands or viscosity. In an emergency, that is better than running low on oil, but in general, pick one brand and stick to it. Also, I believe that western oil (Valvoline) is better than Pennslyvania oils (Quaker State) which contain parifin. Once again, this is JMO, and I'm sure one of our resident petro chemists may jump in and correct me.

If you are going with a new factory fresh 02 engine, run at least 3,000 miles on dino oil, then switch to synthetic. If it is a rebuild, then break that engine in for 5,000 (unless your engine builder tells you differently, go by his recommendation for break in) before making the switch to make sure your rings seat properly.
Good luck with the swap.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Mobil 1

Been using Mobil 1 5w30 in my 2000 GT for 50k miles-engine sounds, feels and runs like new and doesn't use a drop of oil between changes-which I do every 5k miles. I'm sold!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Another vote for Mobil 1 5W-30. I change mine every 3,000-5,000 miles.

Nathan

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Another vote for Mobil. Corvetters and Porshes use it straight from the factory. MM&FF did a dyno a while ago and picked up 5 hp by going to the synthetic. With the s/c I swear the temp gauge was showing cooler after switching. I also just had my heads out and there was a side by side comparassion of heads with mobil and heads with castrol and what a difference.
Greg

·
Registered
162 Posts
Ok, in my 99 GT, I let Ford change the oil every 3000 miles. Not had any engine issues yet and I've run it at the track a few times. However, after 80K miles, I can feel the motor when it is time to change it. Now, I'm ready to convert.

1988 1.8ltr v4. I drove that thing to 150,000 miles before I sold it. Put Mobile1 in it every 10,000 - 15,000 miles. Yup, every 15,000 miles. I never had an engine issue ever. In the early 90's, I read an article that said that I could do that (I think Motor Trend) so I did. To be honest, I'm more comfortable changing it every 6000 miles, but that dang car ran great til the day I sold it.

IMO, Mobile1 is worth every penny. Now that I'm off the warranty in my GT, Mobile1 is going in!!!

·
Registered
368 Posts
I run mobil one in both my GT and my ZR-1. I won't run anything else.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Changing over

I have been running regular oil sence new(42k ago) would it hurt anything if i change over to synthetic oil now?

·
Registered
368 Posts
I changed over at 40k im my GT, won't hurt anything.

·
Registered
106 Posts
i use 10W30 Mobil 1 full synthetic, nothing less.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Re: Changing over

2G-GreenGT said:
I have been running regular oil sence new(42k ago) would it hurt anything if i change over to synthetic oil now?
Shouldn't hurt a thing. Just be sure to change the oil filter at the time you switch over. Not sure why you wouldn't, but thought I would just toss that out there.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'll be honest and share with you my experience. By no means am I a mechanic (by trade), or a chemist either, but I can perform my own oil changes and anything else under the hood for that matter. I also know when it's time to say "I don't know what the hell I'm doing, so it's off to the repair shop for the car."

Been using Mobile 1 in all my cars since I've bought them (01 v6 was the only one bought new).

98 GT loves it (30-99k). It loves it so much, it drinks about a quart every 3k miles or more depending on how much I use the "go-baby-go" switch. Tried switching to dino oil because of the rapid use, and the motor developed a slight knock in it. Promptly changed back to Mobile 1, and problem solved.

92 GT enjoys it. Not a drop used, not a knock to be heard (106-108k).

01 V6 likes it (00.0-15k). Same as the 92.

(Previous car)96 Miata (15-30k), used dino to begin with. Changed to Mobile 1 because I had gotten the 98, and didn't want to have to get different brands/quality oil. As soon as I started it up, it started knocking. Couldn't for the life of me figure it out, checked valve lash, listned with a stethescope, still nothing. Switched back to dino, and the knock went away. Figured that it's just rice crap, and traded it for the 01 v6 (wife's).:eek:

Sorry so long...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys for the info. I feel confident in my choice to go with Mobil 1 full syns. I still plan on changing my oil regularly aroun 3-4K miles. I plan on goin with a S/C later on and I want to keep things running nicely with good oil.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts