Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mainly want to know if this program works or not, is it user friendly? Did you notice any gains or improvments? If this is a good program then where might I call about getting one for a 95 gt, has the crappy computer.

Thanks for any info.

Nate

·
Banned
1,064 Posts
wow, search on here keyword: tweecer and you'll see many happy people.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Go to www.tweecer.com It is an awesome tool! But you should be pretty well educated about your car and how it works before you purchase this. You can literally change anything in your cars program and you can destroy your motor as well with an improper tune...

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
The TwEECer is one of the best mods I've paid for on my Mustang... the first being my Vortech SC Trim of course :)

It's a great program, and you can link to several support sites from the TwEECer's homepage. As a rule of thumb start out with your stock settings, and only make the changes you understand. As stated above you can gain a lot from the TwEECer, but you can also destroy everything with it.

I'm running one on my '88LX and I've made very few changes to the stock A9L settings. I started off my inputing my 90mm LMAF's Transfer Function (30 point voltage to air flow curve) and putting in that I'm running 42# injectors opposed to 19#'s (two settings, low slope [42] & high slope [49]). My car fired right up. The then next thing I had to take care of was the horrible puff of black smoke when I'd start the car up; the smell was of pure unburnt fuel. I then found a "Fuel Table: Start Up" and modified the table to pull out over half the fuel the car was getting at startup due to the large injectors. So far this entire time I've had timing locked at ~20 degrees because I don't feel comfortable going into timing advance yet.

One of the most handy functions of it, which you really need a wideband to use, is being able to lean or richen your car out at whatever percentage anywhere on the MAF curve you need to. I hooked a multimeter across my MAF so I knew where I needed to make the changes. I knew from point 15 to 30 my car was going VERY lean. So I added 5% fuel in that area to compensate for whatever the problem was.

What you need to get started with a TwEECer: common computer knowledge and a USB port for the newer TwEECers.

What's recommended: a laptop and a wideband o2 meter.

I don't have a laptop so I have to take the TwEECer out of my car and make the changes, install it and go for another test drive. My friend has a laptop. So when we tune his car we just go for a drive, pull into a parking lot to make changes and see how they work out.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wow, thanks for the info, can u get away without using the wide bands on the exhaust? I would have to use the home computer, is this a problem, and does the tweecer come with stock settings so u dont have to worry about losing them. Does it tell u where and if you need to make changes, and finally can u change the rev limit to more than 6250?

Thanks, nate

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
If you're not running a supercharger you can get by without using a wideband. Just dyno it and look for the most power. Also, if you see black smoke you know you're running too rich. You don't get the tune as accurate without a Wideband, but you can get close.

On the TwEECer website you have to download the processor you're working with. I think they're stored as .BIN files. You then open that file with the TwEECer and go from there.

It doesn't tell you where and what to change, but it does explain what a lot of the things do. That helps out a lot.

You can change your rev limiter to whatever you want it. Being supercharged, I moved my factory rev limiter (which pulls fuel) WAY up to an RPM I'll never see anyways. I let my MSD-6AL take care of limiting RPM's since it does it the right way -- by pulling spark.

And finally... using your home computer isn't a problem, I just find it more bothersome than having a laptop -- especially if you have to drive 20 miles before you're on a safe road to romp on it a litte.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a tweecer and a wideband. Here is what I say.

Why do you want one? Is your motor running funny, have you made mods that make you think you need a tweecer, are you pinging or detonating? Or do you just want one? All good reasons.

I bought mine because I added heads, cam, supercharger, maf, tb, and injectors. I did not want to blow up my motor. I wanted to make sure I had a safe a/f ratio at WOT. I wanted to make sure I got decent mileage running 42# injectors on the street.

I recommend you get a wide band oxygen sensor first. Install it. That's what I did. I then drove my car around and wrote down my a/f readings at idle, then 1000 rpm cruies, 1500 rpm cruise, etc to 4000 rpm cruise (2nd gear 70mph). I was rich everwhere, so I knew I needed to tweec something. Then I hammered the throttle and scared the xrap out of me. The a/f ration was over 14:1 at WOT--bad, very bad for sc motor.

The cure: bought a tweecer. I was able to adjust my a/f ratios for cruise and for WOT. Results: for cruising my wb now shows a/f ratios in 13.8-14.1 range. WOT is 11.7 from 3500 rpm to redline. Once you get your a/f ratios right, then you can play with timing to get max performance.

Hope this helps.

-ponyboy

It takes awhile to learn, but go slow and make just small changes, one at a time. You'll get the knack after awhile. Then it's easy.

Install was easy. Worked the first time.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
"You can change your rev limiter to whatever you want it. Being supercharged, I moved my factory rev limiter (which pulls fuel) WAY up to an RPM I'll never see anyways. I let my MSD-6AL take care of limiting RPM's since it does it the right way -- by pulling spark."

I was also thinking of getting the Tweecer, but only for the rev limiter function (so far)- can I do ONLY the rev limiter function, or will I have to do a bunch of other stuff too? As for now, I just want the limiter moved up and the MSD to control it, and maybe down the line do other stuff to the combo.

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
You can choose to only change the rev limiter function. It's kind of tricky, but it shows the formula for choosing what rev limiter you want. I think I have mine at 7,500 or something like that.

The first thing you want to do is the rev limiter and input your injectors. You'll see a parameter called Injector Low Slope: which should be set to 34.5 and Injector High Slope: which should be set to 30. Then change your rev limiter.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I have the TwEECer RT and can say it is NOT easy to learn. The reason being is because there are many different opinions on how to do the same thing. Nothing seems to be in concrete on alot of the changes and how to do them. You can do a search on the TwEECer sites and see what I am talking about. Everyone is asking questions on the how to do this and that and there is rarely, if ever, a consensus on how to make a mod and what it affects and why. That has been my problem with using it.

I do own one and am planning to keep it. Mike Glover (the creator of the TwEECer) told me there is going to be more information coming out about the Ford program and that this is going to be the year of the self tuner, so I am hoping for this and opting to keep mine. I have found my stock A9L is running my new enigine just fine. I think there are some guys out there that know enough about this stuff to make it run better with the TwEECer, but getting them to give up that information is like pulling teeth (I am not talking about your average joe TwEECer tuners running a 408 in the high to mid 11's and thinking the TwEECer is getting them there either, trust me there are alot of these guys around). I believe Ed Hohenberg and some others are pretty good at this stuff. Ed is in Winnepeg, Canada though and the thought of having to drive 10 hours just to get on his dyno for some tuning is not an overwhelming need for me at the moment...so I wait and hope more credible information is released.

Oh, another thing. If you say stuff like this on any TwEECer site you can expect all the FAST..cough, cough, hack, hack car guys to gang up on you and say things like 'it is you, not the TwEECer', or 'Quit your whining'.....blah, blah, blah. All the while they are happy with their 13 and 12 second daily driver, TwEECer modded cars.

I am NOT down on the TwEECer. I know it does a lot of stuff. I am down on the lack of information on how to mod and use the information you can glean from this device and the lack of credible opinions on what will happen with these changes and the like. You will find there are plenty of guys like me sharing the same opinion as well. There are a handful of 'know it alls' that pass their opinions as fact on this stuff too. You need to watch out for them if you buy one and start surfing into these sites. I spent ALOT of money on my new engine. It is not worth ruining it over some poor, internet recommended tune.

Am I happy I own my TwEECer RT?

Yeah, I am going to use it for the rev limiter and some other functions that I KNOW work when the racing season starts.

Is it user friendly?

NO, there is spatterings of information out there on it. If they had better customer support and EVERYONE could agree on what TwEECer mod does what, I would feel alot more comfortable using it.

Have I noticed any gains or improvements using it?

The rev limiter does work and that is about all I noticed different from what I had been running for a bin file on my stroker and the stock A9L. My A9L is doing a GREAT job. I can't wait to get to the dyno to get the real story between the two.

Mike Glover and some others on the site are great guys. They will help when time permits. You can make some gains using the TwEECer. It will just take ALOT of time and patience. Best of luck to you in whatever way you choose to go.

Ed Stettin

BTW, to all you TwEECer 'know it alls' that plan on dogging me for my truthful [email protected]#$% you! I will see you at the track.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have heard MANY good things about the TwEECer. However, I think I am going to use the AEM Engine Management. It does everything the TwEECer does and more. Plus, you don't have to use a Mass Air Flow Sensor anymore. I talked to a guy that just built his car and I got to see some of the tings it does. WOW! It is a bit more expensive and requires just as much knowlege as the TwEECer does, so be careful what you play with. If you have any questions, I think this page might help.

http://www.coximport.com/aem/ems.html

Jon

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
ERStettin said:
I have the TwEECer RT and can say it is NOT easy to learn. The reason being is because there are many different opinions on how to do the same thing. Nothing seems to be in concrete on alot of the changes and how to do them. You can do a search on the TwEECer sites and see what I am talking about. Everyone is asking questions on the how to do this and that and there is rarely, if ever, a consensus on how to make a mod and what it affects and why. That has been my problem with using it.

I do own one and am planning to keep it. Mike Glover (the creator of the TwEECer) told me there is going to be more information coming out about the Ford program and that this is going to be the year of the self tuner, so I am hoping for this and opting to keep mine. I have found my stock A9L is running my new enigine just fine. I think there are some guys out there that know enough about this stuff to make it run better with the TwEECer, but getting them to give up that information is like pulling teeth (I am not talking about your average joe TwEECer tuners running a 408 in the high to mid 11's and thinking the TwEECer is getting them there either, trust me there are alot of these guys around). I believe Ed Hohenberg and some others are pretty good at this stuff. Ed is in Winnepeg, Canada though and the thought of having to drive 10 hours just to get on his dyno for some tuning is not an overwhelming need for me at the moment...so I wait and hope more credible information is released.

Oh, another thing. If you say stuff like this on any TwEECer site you can expect all the FAST..cough, cough, hack, hack car guys to gang up on you and say things like 'it is you, not the TwEECer', or 'Quit your whining'.....blah, blah, blah. All the while they are happy with their 13 and 12 second daily driver, TwEECer modded cars.

I am NOT down on the TwEECer. I know it does a lot of stuff. I am down on the lack of information on how to mod and use the information you can glean from this device and the lack of credible opinions on what will happen with these changes and the like. You will find there are plenty of guys like me sharing the same opinion as well. There are a handful of 'know it alls' that pass their opinions as fact on this stuff too. You need to watch out for them if you buy one and start surfing into these sites. I spent ALOT of money on my new engine. It is not worth ruining it over some poor, internet recommended tune.

Am I happy I own my TwEECer RT?

Yeah, I am going to use it for the rev limiter and some other functions that I KNOW work when the racing season starts.

Is it user friendly?

NO, there is spatterings of information out there on it. If they had better customer support and EVERYONE could agree on what TwEECer mod does what, I would feel alot more comfortable using it.

Have I noticed any gains or improvements using it?

The rev limiter does work and that is about all I noticed different from what I had been running for a bin file on my stroker and the stock A9L. My A9L is doing a GREAT job. I can't wait to get to the dyno to get the real story between the two.

Mike Glover and some others on the site are great guys. They will help when time permits. You can make some gains using the TwEECer. It will just take ALOT of time and patience. Best of luck to you in whatever way you choose to go.

Ed Stettin

BTW, to all you TwEECer 'know it alls' that plan on dogging me for my truthful [email protected]#$% you! I will see you at the track.
VERY, VERY ACCURATE!!:)

Some of the discussions on the Yahoo group blow me away. Pages and pages (or email after email from the list) of injector breakpoint discussions and theories. However, no firm answers.

Thankfully I found a tuner in Houston, Ben Frazier, who set up a tune for my supercharged car. Hopefully, later this spring I will get it on the dyno and see how good of a tune it really is.:)

·
Registered
12,836 Posts
Ed is correct about the learning curve. There are over 225 parameters that can be changed/modified, and if you do something wrong, you can blow your car up. I have a spreadsheet that I built with definitions for probably 70% of the paramters, but the trick is knowing what is causing your problem in the first place. It is pretty tough if you don't have a good working understanding about how the EEC works. Tuning can be/is a hit or miss game, ask any of the mail order chip guys and they'll tell you the same thing. And, if you are not computer literate to begin with, I would suggest steering clear of the tweecer until you are comfortable with computers. It is hard enough to learn a new program while having to learn how to use a computer at the same time. I have a 3" binder full of print outs (double sided) from various sources detailing different procedures on how to do stuff, plus I have the Probst book detailing how EEC fuel injection really works. Heck, I studied on the tweecer bbs for over 6 mos. before I even bought my tweecer. BTW, I got mine used for $525, and that included a laptop.

Documentation has been steadily improving, with the promise of even better documentation in the near future.

I'll say this, if you plan on getting a tweecer, you should really plan on getting a laptop so you can do datalogging. Otherwise, it is a PITA to hook up to a desktop PC evertime you want to change something. You can find a good used PC for 100-200 bux, you should add that to your budget when buying.

If you are getting the tweecer strictly for a performance gain, then it will basically be a one shot tuning deal for you. You'll play with WOT fuel and timing, then be done with it for the most part. If you are planning on future upgrades, it is nice since you don't have to pay for a reburn. If you are looking for drivability gains, you will prob. find yourself tinkering with it all the time, trying to regain that "stock car feel".

The AEM setup is a very nice unit, but is a stand alone system and in a different league than the tweecer (price wise, that is).

·
Registered
12,836 Posts
Yep, the corral is where I discovered the tweecer, believe it or not...

:D

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Very great tool, but as you have been told, it is NOT very user friendly for a novice. The best place to start is to get the Probst EEC fuel injection book and read it through, then you will have a partial understading of whats going on. I have had mine (EEC Tuner) for 2+ years and I learn something new every day with it. But I do have a very well running, highly modified 95GT with the stock EEC, which most people say cant be made to work as well as the older fox EEC's But it has taken me a long time to get here.
And most importantly, DO NOT use an "internet tune" or suggestions that work on one car, cause odds are they will NOT work on yours. Not to flame the guy above, but giving you exact slopes to use in your car is just not accurate, and most likely they will not work in your car like they do in his...

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
SSKiller said:

And most importantly, DO NOT use an "internet tune"

I don't know about that part. Sure it would be better to have the car on the dyno while a tuner does his thing. However, there is NOBODY in this area currently doing tunes with a TWEECER. So my next best option was to find a competent tuner to get me set up.

I've not been to the dyno yet to do the final tuning, but am comfortable that I am currently running a safe tune. I've hammered this thing hard with no adverse effects. Well......let me change that....I toasted my clutch the other night with about 6200 rpm and 10lbs of boost, but I guess I can't blame the tune for that.:)

The tuner I worked with sent me the tune. I installed it and drove it. I emailed him back with some small driveability issues. He adjusted the tune and sent it back until we ironed those out.

This guy even offered to be available via online while I had the car strapped to the dyno to assist me in making any changes.

The "best" way no, but the only way for some of us. Yeah....Yeah I know I could learn to do it completely by myself. Sorry, but I wanted to drive the car before 2006:lol:

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
I see your point xsvstang, and thats probably OK, I was referring to guys posting "you should have your slopes set to 30 and 34.5" and your MAF curve should look like this" In your case you were given personal attention, not just general numbers thrown out. Too many guys try and "tell" people what they should be using and when I first got my tuner I fell victim to this, and I did appreciate the help by all means, but you can't just suggest something for someone elses combo and tell them it will work. Each car and engine combo is always different, and if you built two identical motors with all the same parts, same everything, you would find that each one would need a different tune, weird, but thats how it has always been...

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
SSKiller said:
I see your point xsvstang, and thats probably OK, I was referring to guys posting "you should have your slopes set to 30 and 34.5" and your MAF curve should look like this" In your case you were given personal attention, not just general numbers thrown out. Too many guys try and "tell" people what they should be using and when I first got my tuner I fell victim to this, and I did appreciate the help by all means, but you can't just suggest something for someone elses combo and tell them it will work. Each car and engine combo is always different, and if you built two identical motors with all the same parts, same everything, you would find that each one would need a different tune, weird, but thats how it has always been...
I agree wholeheartedly with that. :)

·
Registered
12,836 Posts
That's what makes tuning such a difficult business/hobby - cars can be identical, yet require different tunes to be optimized. Throw one small difference in (for example, a CAI kit), and cars can behave radically different from each other.

That is what makes the tweecer r/t nice, you can keep experimenting until you find that elusive perfect tune, without haveing to pay someone else to do it for you.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts