Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to figure out if it will be benifitial to me at all to install a cam timing belt drive kit in place of the timing chain setup.

Cam Belt Drive

I can see the pros and cons of the belt setup being the following:
Pros
Lighter (Slightly faster reving and lower polar moment of inertia)
Adjustable (Only applies if I actually use the feature)
Gentler on the cam and valvetrain (Less vibration transmitted to the cam)
Lower friction (Cam roller thrust bearing)
Not in the oil (No power wasted slogging the chain through the oil)

Cons
Adjustable (Possiblility of it comming out of adjustment whil engine running)
Rubber Belt (possible for belt to fail of fall off. Engine is toast if this happens)
Sealing around both gears and timing cover (This worries me as I am running a vacuum pump)

What do you guys think? The reliabilty and sealing are my two top concerns. The biggest benifit in my mind is the dampened treatment of the camshaft and reduced harmonic.

·
Vendor
12,717 Posts
If you are going to run a belt drive it surely would be a Danny Bee, not that chinese Pro Comp junk. Have I used that one in the auction? Nope, and wouldnt think of it. If you are building a motor of this caliber that warrants a belt drive, I wouldnt be using that junk. I have used a DB on several engines, big and small block and they are great for many reasons. What is the caliber of the engine?

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Just by the CONS that you listed, doesnt that answer your question?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you are going to run a belt drive it surely would be a Danny Bee, not that chinese Pro Comp junk. Have I used that one in the auction? Nope, and wouldnt think of it. If you are building a motor of this caliber that warrants a belt drive, I wouldnt be using that junk. I have used a DB on several engines, big and small block and they are great for many reasons. What is the caliber of the engine?
The engine is a DSS Level 20 331 stroker So a pretty decent pedigree. Just running out of cash to finish the build.

Just by the CONS that you listed, doesnt that answer your question?
Yep, it does. Just wanted to get a feel for other people that have run belt drives. I mean, there does seem to be a reason for it, I just wanted to get some feedback for what the actual benefits are vs the hype.

The reliability is the part that just gives me the willies. I mean chains may stretch a little but with a 0.6" lift cam I can't afford a slipped cog from a belt.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Reliability is the Main factor in any engine. As strokeme stated, if you must/want to use the belt setup, at least use one from a reputable company.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok your not building anything dramatic enough to warrant a belt drive, no disrespect meant, its just not a high end build. Heres what you need http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G6620-B/
Awesome, no offense taken. Like I said I needed a check on the benfits. I like that the summit part you linked addresses the first two pros I listed for the belt drive. (MUCH cheaper too:D)

Just out of curiostity, what is a build worthy of a belt drive and why? I mean, what is the driving factor? RPM? Displacement? Valvesprings? Cam profile?

·
Vendor
12,717 Posts
Awesome, no offense taken. Like I said I needed a check on the benfits. I like that the summit part you linked addresses the first two pros I listed for the belt drive. (MUCH cheaper too:D)

Just out of curiostity, what is a build worthy of a belt drive and why? I mean, what is the driving factor? RPM? Displacement? Valvesprings? Cam profile?
Cam timing adjustability, front mount distributors are two of the biggest benefits

·
Registered
17,637 Posts
agree.

it is not that there is any downside other than the cost to set one up properly...but rather that..."if you really NEED the benifits of what they can do....

good quality chains ,

...everyday,

make millions of engines camshafts go 'round and 'round.....

if you need something to make you dYck get hard, in front of friends that have no real value to your life, then I would guess that you should get one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts