Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are you guys having problems with melting clutch cables? I've melted 3 cables total now. I even wrapped the cable with that high temp wire material and it still burnt up. Will wrapping some header wrap around the tube near the cable work? I welcome ANY ideas on how to stop this without removing the headers.

Mize

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've had some buddies whose cars do the same thing. best thing to do is figure out a way to hold the cable back from the headers. i've seen guys try making heat shields out of thin steel and putting it between the cable and the headers(make sure it doesn't actually attach or touch the header or it'll just heat up and radiate the heat onto the cable again) and that seems to work better than most else. wrapping headers with material is a big NO-NO because the heat from the exhaust cannot radiate off the header and causes the steel to heat to a point where it combines with oxygen left in the exhaust and causes it to rust out about 15 times faster. (those of you with ceramic coated headers, of course the ceramic coating reflects the heat back into the exhaust gas and keeps the steel cooler)

there is also a product that you wrap wire bundles with that has a reflective surface on the outside that will keep heat out of the wires, you should try that stuff on the cable and see if it works ok. here's some things i found like what i was talking about:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=10149',650,505,'DEI010405'

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=10206',650,505,'DEI010408

hope that helps.

cheers,

Chris

·
Registered
785 Posts
Another totally unrelated possibility is that you may have poor chassis ground. Trans and clutch cables can melt beacuse they end up being a ground strap between the body and engine. Just a thought!!

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
My buddy and I both had this problem. We got about 6" of thick and big fuel line from the auto parts store and cut a slick in it and put it around the clutch cable. The heat from the header doesn't seem to be hot enough to melt through it, even though it is resting against the header.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
svart said:
hey, now that's a good idea Chevyguy. Mize blown89lx, what did the cable look like? fried all the way up and down or just in an area near the header?
Only the area near the header. About 7" from the bellhousing hole up the cable.

Mize

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bottlefed90GT said:
My buddy and I both had this problem. We got about 6" of thick and big fuel line from the auto parts store and cut a slick in it and put it around the clutch cable. The heat from the header doesn't seem to be hot enough to melt through it, even though it is resting against the header.
Sweet idea!! I will try that. Thanks man.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
svart said:
I've had some buddies whose cars do the same thing. best thing to do is figure out a way to hold the cable back from the headers. i've seen guys try making heat shields out of thin steel and putting it between the cable and the headers(make sure it doesn't actually attach or touch the header or it'll just heat up and radiate the heat onto the cable again) and that seems to work better than most else. wrapping headers with material is a big NO-NO because the heat from the exhaust cannot radiate off the header and causes the steel to heat to a point where it combines with oxygen left in the exhaust and causes it to rust out about 15 times faster. (those of you with ceramic coated headers, of course the ceramic coating reflects the heat back into the exhaust gas and keeps the steel cooler)

there is also a product that you wrap wire bundles with that has a reflective surface on the outside that will keep heat out of the wires, you should try that stuff on the cable and see if it works ok. here's some things i found like what i was talking about:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=10149',650,505,'DEI010405'

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=10206',650,505,'DEI010408

hope that helps.

cheers,

Chris
Chris, that is the stuff I had around the cable. Header burned that up in 2 years. There is no way i can tie back the cable. No room at all. I'm curious about the header wrap though. What is the purpose of using it if it doesnt radiate heat? I've seen a few cars with it on and their engine compartment is pretty cool compared to no wrap. Can you explain? I may try the fuel line idea. Thanks for the help.

Mize

·
Registered
60 Posts
header wrap originally was used to keep heat IN the header so the exhaust gas stayed super hot and flowed much faster out of the downtubes in the header(like using bigger headers or stepped tube headers) but a lot of people liked the way it kept heat out of the engine bays too so now most people use it for that because ceramic coatings are much better at keeping the heat in the exhaust gas, however using header wrap on the headers forces the metal to "rust" much faster than it should.(see explaination in earlier post).

oh ok, i didn't know that was the stuff you used to wrap the cable. i had heard it worked fairly well, at least the reflective stuff that has thick fiberglass insulation between the reflective surface and the adhesive/velcro.

i would try using a layer of header wrap on the cable and slip the metal tubing over it. the metal will reflect some heat and dissipate some heat much like a heatsink. the rest will probably be blocked by the header wrap.

let us know how it goes, I'll be swapping in a TKO from c-4 soon and with my 3" collectors my clearance will be tight too.

Chris

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
UPDATE!

Looks like I may have solved it. I went and got some very high quality blue fuel line that is used on Circle track race cars, took off about 6" and covered my new FMS cable. Then, sorry svart, i had to do it, put some header wrap just around the tube that was causing me the problem and so far it seems to be working. The headers are 5 year old Mac 1 5/8, so if they rust, I will get new ones. It shifts so much better now. If this method fails, I will repost. Thanks for the help guys!

Mize

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.