Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright.....

Here's the deal....

I'm in the process of getting the AFR 165 heads/studs/1.6Comp Rockers.....and was wondering what kind of

VALVE COVERS did some of you use with them....

I've been told that the COMP Polymers are supposed to fit, but.....like alot of things have issues when the rubber meets the pavement....

things such as...

1. Leaky gaskets

2. Problems with crankcase blow-by out the vent/neck.

3. Fitament issues....

This is the thing......I would like to use my stock hood for now....and was wondering what kind of valve covers ya'll used, and what did some of ya'll do to counter the issues stated above...

I have the old EFI Perf. RPM intake, and was told the Comp's clear the intake, but I had a friend that had the Comp's and he hated them, actually 2 buddies....One of them used the Motorsport valve covers, but I heard you have to use a spacer 1", to clear, thus causing HOOD/Intake clearance issues...

Please Help..............

Thanks...

:)

·
Registered
506 Posts
My experience...
AFR's 165's, Performer RPM intake, Scorpion 1.6 RR's. "May" have fit under stock valve covers(baffle removed) . Do a search on fit vs. benefits on that . I set mine on and was not comfortable. I dunno? Could have worked? I bought some valve cover spacers. Cleared my hood easy. Should have cleared stock hood too. I don't think the clearance would be with the hood rather than the manifold. Can't comment on the COMP stuf... Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I used the stock covers again with AFR 185's and 1.7 rockers. I ditched the baffles, and also use a 3/8" spacer in between the upper and lower intake. No problems as of yet.

·
Registered
‘93 Mustang LX
4,789 Posts
Stock covers worked on my 302 with Edelbrock Performer intake and AFR165 heads. Just check the underside of those covers for "pillars" that might contact your RR's. Grind them away where necessary. Work great for me! 3 years now and counting.

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
Leadsled Coupe said:
Stock covers worked on my 302 with Edelbrock Performer intake and AFR165 heads. Just check the underside of those covers for "pillars" that might contact your RR's. Grind them away where necessary. Work great for me! 3 years now and counting.

Same here..Stock Valve covers with the Stock baffle removed,Added a new thin baffle,AFR 185s, Scorpion Roller rockers..Worked Great for 4 years and counting..Life is good...

Jeff

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
DP :mad: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good....

Thanks for the responses....guys...

I really don't want to use the Polymers...

I'd like to use the stock covers.....but I was going to use the Comp Alumninum Rockers, 1.6s...I guess these would work as well???

What gaskets did ya'll use on the valve covers???

ttt

Scott88:

Do you have an aftermarket hood, (raised cowl), or stock with that 3/8 spacer between the upper/lower intake???

I really don't want to get a hood at this point??? I want the car to be unassuming>>>

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
McQueen- I used the stock hood even with the 3/8" spacer, it fits fine with a track heat intake. A few folks told me it wouldn't fit, but it did. My hood doesn't have the lining, not sure if that makes a difference though.

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
SteveMcQueen said:

I'd like to use the stock covers.....but I was going to use the Comp Alumninum Rockers, 1.6s...

Well you just said you would like to use the stock VCs with your Comp Aluminum rockers, so DO IT..Alot of us use the Stock Valve covers while running Roller rockers.

SteveMcQueen said:

What gaskets did ya'll use on the valve covers???
Reuse the STOCK ford Valve cover gaskets!They are Steel and have a Rubber O ring seal..They are Reusable and Seal better than Any gasket I have ever used..

SteveMcQueen said:

I really don't want to get a hood at this point??? I want the car to be unassuming>>>
Great just keep your stock hood on the car ...You wont have to have a Cowl hood for what your wanting to do..

Take care..

Jeff

1 - 9 of 9 Posts