Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a custom computer chip. I have a 93 cobra(stock motor) with a vortech v-2 pushing 12# boost. I want to give the company my specs on the car and I want them to burn me a chip for my car instead of having to go to a dyno and have them do it there. I am not racing the car, so absolute power is not necessary. I just want them to adjust timing and so on so i do not need to get a btm. Who has had good luck with what company? Thanks Tom

·
Registered
345 Posts
I have use JMS for the past few years.
Web site http://www.jmschip.com/
Ask for Montie, tell him the Jack from Gulfport said to give him a call.
chip will really help with the driveablity of the car.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I second the recommendation for JMS. I have always had great results. I just listed out what was done to the car and they sent me a "switch chip" with three programs. See the combo and dyno results on my web site.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Ron,
very nice coupe.

I have been debating ditching the 30# inj and the fmu for the 42's and the chip.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Thanks JB. I would recommend you do it. I did the FMU with 24# injectors on the Powerdyne combo and for a while with the S-trim and 36#. I much prefer the 42# with the JMS chip. I pass Gergia emissions testing easily and the car makes good power. Driveability is awsome.

·
Registered
461 Posts
By the way, your combo (and i mean the whole car) and mine are so similar it is a little scary.
Biggest differences are my heads are gt-40x and my intake is a tubular gt-40.
I am assuming you are running the stock cam since your mods did not mention a camshaft (that i saw).

I have thought about going to the PMS and ditching the boost retard with my crane hi6tr, and using it instead, but $900.00 ouch...

I have to buy my powerpipe still, and finish assembling the engine.
I ran the blower with the 30's and the engine that is presently in the car and it ran well, but there was always somthing that seemed to be missing...I also hated the pig rich condition you would get from the fmu when it first started closing off. It got a little embarrassing fogging the neighborhood with unburned fuel.

Anyway, thanks for the input...

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
I've had a couple experiences with chips. I've tried a FordChip, I own a TwEECer and currently run a stock A9L!

FordChip sucked. I gave them my specs, for a mail order flip chip, and they guaranteed perfection. My combo was a basic h/c/i motor with a Vortech SC Trim pushing 5 psi (at that time). On my first tank of fuel I went 80 miles!!!! After having it blamed on plugs, vacuum leaks, user error and a wideband showing <9:1 I got my money back two months later...

I like my TwEECer. The TwEECer allows you to do almost anything you want to with the processor. Injector swaps done right, dialing in your MAF curve when the MAF & injectors are not calibrated to each other, changing rev limiters, fan settings and anything else you can think of. However, the TwEECer has a big learning curve, a laptop is recommended and takes a lot of work to get right. As a matter of fact, I don't even know how I'd tune if I ddin't have a wideband too.

Whatever route you take, do yourself a favor... get the car custom tuned on a dyno!!! This way you'll know exactly how much power you put down and where your car is concerning air:fuel. Having a supercharged car I always lean towards the side of safety. Detonating whilie under 15 psi can lead to a HORRIBLE evening.

·
Registered
4,375 Posts
Weasled, so if Im not gonna change combos and only change the boost, do you recommend Just a Dyno tune with a flip chip and no Tweecer.

thanks-- didnt mean to hijack

·
Registered
323 Posts
I had Montie at JMS burn a superchip custom on their dyno last April and he did an outstanding job on my 10# boost S-Trim with 42lb injectors. I asked him to burn 3 selectable programs -- one for pump gas, a second for 100 octane race gas and a third without the blower. Since it was done on site at their shop, he was able to fine tune the chip for drivablily after he was done on the dyno. Initially there was a lean stumble at throttle tip in when cruising, but he was able to correct it after a few test drives. Montie appears to be detail oriented, methodical and very experienced in burning chips.

It has been my experience that if you can have it burned on the dyno, it will be right on the money the first time.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the replys guys. I can get to a dyno about 5 hours away though(rick anderson's shop). That is why I was going to go with a, do I dare say, mail order chip. But it seems that if i do, I'll go with jms. Tom

·
Registered
12,785 Posts
Toy Pony - I've been down the mail order chip path, as have others. I was trying to fix drivability issues. After 4 reburns (with 4 tunes each time, as it was a 4 way switch chip), I finally gave up and got my tweecer. Haven't looked back since.

There is no way I would get a mail order chip tune done to your combo, especially since you are wanting to do away with the FMU. There is no way for the tuner to be accurate with the WOT a/f, so they will err toward the rich side, which can really make your car a dog.

If you can make it to AFM, that is what I would do. They can put it on the dyno, run the wideband at the same time, and really dial your combo in. If your combo will never change again, that is the better (and cheaper) way to do it.

However, if you plan on upgrading/changing your combo any time soon, you should really look into some type of tune it your self system, whether it be the PMS, tweecer, etc. The learning curve is steep for any of them, as you are not only learning how fuel injection works and it's terminology, you are learning a new piece of software and it's terminology as well, and then trying to interpolate between the two of them.

If you go the mail order route, plan on getting at least one reburn. And if your fmu is off to work with the chip, then you'll either have to let the car sit, or you'll have to reinstall the fmu until the chip gets back.

You can prob. figure $500 plus for a chip plus dyno tuning. $550 + a laptop will get you a tweecer r/t with datalogging (I got an old cheap laptop, ~50 bux).

If you are dead set on a mail order chip, Byron at racesystems.com is very good as well, and will work with your combo until it is right. He uses autologic chips, and offers a 4 position chip along with a single burn chip.

·
Registered
12,785 Posts
Toy Pony - Private Message sent!

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Personally, I use a STOCK A9L, with a EEC Tuner. It allows me to change anything I want in the computer.

Example, Currently I run 36# injectors on my car with a Pro-M 75mm MAF Meter (Calibrated to 24# injectors). The car runs perfect with this combo (Again I can change things in the computer to allow this to happen).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts