Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '86 Mustang..Its been re-painted and bondo'd a few years back. Basically a Macco job.

Bondo is coming out badly on the roof and under the doors...It hurts to see my stang like this.I cant sleep at night knowing shes in pain :(

I think I may attempt to paint it myself because I have a large air compresser...but before I attempt this I wanted to get some input.

Basically this is my plan for fixing up the rust/bondo mess:

grinding/sandblasting as much as I can off

Ill probaly only put bondo on the roof and outside of the doors/quarters where its rusting, and leave it off from the inside of the door bottoms...since it wont matter if its an uneven surface there.

then sand and primer

As far as painting it goes I dont really know how to do it..I have the right nozzles and everything but have never painted anything with it before...I guess Ill have to find some old metal to practice on.

What brand of paint should I buy? How is it mixed?

Also Id like to put a clear coat on it...how hard is that to do? what brand to go with?

thanks for any help!!!

oh, and Ill get a couple pics up of my rust so you can maybe get a better idea of how its geting :(

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Filling rust outs with filler and paint will be a complete waste of time and effort. It won't stop the rust and it'll be bubbled out in weeks/months after. To do it right it'll need steel patches, or replacment panels or at the very least it'll need to be cleaned spotless and epoxy primed. After that it can be fiberglassed up but again it's only a temporary repair if all the rust hasn't been removed.

Paint, pick a supplier locally and see what they recommend. Just about all the name brands will work just fine, price could be a deciding factor. Paint type, if it's a solid non-metallic colour I'd stick with a single stage paint without clear. If it's metallic then a base clear aset-up isn't hard to do. Just a few more steps involved and a higher price.

Pics would be great.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts